Rant-soo annoyed/depressed right now (1 Viewer)

mitch_f1

HSC
Hey
Lemme give you a bit of a background. I am doing quite well in everyone of my subjects (listed in sig) at the moment, except english, and maths.

In english my average assessment mark is 66%, and in maths my average mark is 74% (aiming for 70% and 85%, respectively). This for me is a big problem, because I am aiming for a UAI of 85, I use to think it was quite achievable, but now I am not so certain. This is because, firstly, I am not terribly good at exams, infact I am quite well known at school for doing great in reachearch/first hand investigations/etc. and then doing the complete opposite in exams (kinda not really, but I don't do as well in exams as other assessments). I am, however, trying to work on this, I have invested in various books which have worked HSC papers, so I can do many many practise exams.

Now, I know i'm going to get told off for this next comment, but let me explain that I am not basing my decisions off it, nor am I taking its opinion for gospel, but I have put what I expect to get for the average of HSC and asessments into SAM, and right now I am heading straight for a UAI of around 70, which is not helpful for me, based on the course I want to do at uni (BSc, or BMSc)

To add to this I got a couple of assessment tasks back for the problem subjects in the same week. An english one was a speech, where I got 73% (which wasn't that bad), and another english one (of which I only got part back.....and this part was marked by a teacher that positively despsises me, and this isn't just my opinion; other's have noticed, and commented) where I got 50%. Then to top it off I got maths back where I got 73% again, and people that started the night before (quite literally) beat me (I started several months before it was due).

So yes, this is just a rant, I need to vent. If you don't like it i don't care really, if you want to voice your opion, then by all means do so. Mods, if you don't like this thread, then delete it.

Thanks
mitch

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
There seems to be alot of HSC students at the moment feeling the pressure of assessments, exams and there all important end mark. You seem like a focused student don't worry about other people, talk to your teachers to get some feedback, study better instead of longer etc.

Everyone needs to rant at some point, so that is quiet alright. Good with your aims and i hope you achieve your goal!

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
mitch_f1 said:
To add to this I got a couple of assessment tasks back for the problem subjects in the same week. An english one was a speech, where I got 73% (which wasn't that bad), and another english one (of which I only got part back.....and this part was marked by a teacher that positively despsises me, and this isn't just my opinion; other's have noticed, and commented) where I got 50%.
Kill them :)

Then to top it off I got maths back where I got 73% again, and people that started the night before (quite literally) beat me (I started several months before it was due).
The motto is: dont try :)

But seriously, dude, you still have PLENTY of time. Just try keep some consistent marks going with your assesments.

Btw, the HSC exams scale like crazy.
I got 68 as my final mark for Visual Arts.
but I didnt do 2/3 of the actual HSC test, haha hope that makes you feel better :)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol. nice advice Brightside XD .. besides the "give up" motto fingy :p

Rank is what matters my friend... and not giving up :p
hell .. im currently doing worse than u in english .. better than u in maths .. but mediocre in physics... and im doing adv. english ~O~"

don't stop trying .. give it ur 100% effort and the mark you get won't disappoint you. coz as long as you try your best .. no-one can blame you! *nods* :)

and there ARE different pathways to get into a uni course of your desire.. though these pathways take longer than it would originally.
more info here:
http://community.boredofstudies.org...ur-desired-university-degree.html#post1592461

also btw, just ace the trials and the hsc, and you'll be fine. it all comes down to the trials.. going great in the trials can change your rank like crazy.

and remember the bradbury principle: Never give up. The australian Winter olympics guy who was skating behind the majority of the pack .. and then the leaders created that domino effect which allowed bradbury to take 1st place with ease.

Never Give up. :)

just a lil side note: i'm beginning to like you alreayd. when your ranting ... you're actually typing rationally ... not just throwing in mixed emotions into your post as normal people would :D

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
shinji said:
and remember the bradbury principle: Never give up. The australian Winter olympics guy who was skating behind the majority of the pack .. and then the leaders created that domino effect which allowed bradbury to take 1st place with ease.
that's a great inspiring example

I'm also suffering from pretty average results.. and i'm aiming for UAI > 82

i'm currently averaging between 60-70 % for adv english... 2unit maths... and chemistry

my other subjects aren't crash hot either... 78% for pe... 85% business... and 89% sor

i am fully out of a routine... and the weeks seem to be flying by... i can't even remember what the h/w was for english 2day... arggh, gonna get busted 2moz...
i've been playing around with SAM putting in high marks, low marks, my goals... and it all seems to be placing more stress and pressure on me..
my parents also think that my excessive time on computer drinking V's and going to bed late is a massive problem... MORE STRESS NEXT WEEK WITH PARENT/TEACHER INTERVIEWS>.. now that will be a blast

mitch_f1

HSC
Well thankyou everyone. Thanks for your little comment at the end there shinji. This all really helps. It just all feels so against me, when s**t like this happens to me.

It doesn't help after going to a uni experience day, it just makes you want it to all be over quicker :p They should ban them for that reason :p

I can so relate to what you are experiencing sando; weeks are flying by, and the weekends are almost no-existant. I am quite far behind as well (I was doing homework in all my breaks, including the bus trip this morning, just to catch up), and i'm just starting an assessment due on Monday. Then I have an assessment due every week for the rest of the term, and I have only thought about one of them. So yeh, I don't think you alone.

Just a quick question, if I was ranked in the top 3 for chem (I am #1 at the moment, thanks to a research assessment, and a first hand invstiagtion), but then I get like 70 or 80 (i.e. about average) in the HSC, how will that reflect?

Thanks again
Mitch

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
yeah, shinji, I like that Bradbury principle of yours. I guess I applied it myself in my HSC last year (thuogh I didn't know it was called that! :p)--everyone crashed and burned by externals time and I accelerated so hard my exam marks turned out to be so much higher than my assessment marks overall.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lala2 said:
yeah, shinji, I like that Bradbury principle of yours. I guess I applied it myself in my HSC last year (thuogh I didn't know it was called that! :p)--everyone crashed and burned by externals time and I accelerated so hard my exam marks turned out to be so much higher than my assessment marks overall.
haha .. don't quote me on that bradbury principle!!

i borrowed it from Matthew Reilly's : Hover Car Racer. "Never give up. Never say die."

but nevertheless .. i've been told that i give good counselling. haha ..
but. good to know that the bradbury principle works .. when you don't give up. bahaha

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
shinji said:
haha .. don't quote me on that bradbury principle!!

i borrowed it from Matthew Reilly's : Hover Car Racer. "Never give up. Never say die."

but nevertheless .. i've been told that i give good counselling. haha ..
but. good to know that the bradbury principle works .. when you don't give up. bahaha
HAHAHAH best.book.ever!! well, not ever, but it is an awesome book.

in relation to this thread, ive got no idea what to say. i dont even know why im in the HSC forum. i think i just wanted to take a step back in time and remember what the HSC was like. i miss school :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)