• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Raped by her uncle, but can she have an abortion? (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Yes it does, my point was that there does not even have to be a zygote for someone to take the morning after pill. People take it all the time "just in case" because they can't remember if they used protection or something.

When you're on the pill, you do not ovulate because it tricks your body into thinking its pregnant. Therefore you can't get pregnant (well actually you can but its pretty rare and usually because you did something wrong like forgetting to take it). It doesn't exactly forbid fertilisation, more like it forbids the release of an egg to be fertilised in the first place.

When you take the morning after pill there may or may not be an egg there to fertilise, but you take it anyway just in case there is (you should have some idea anyway but if you don't want to be pregnant you will take it regardless). The morning after pill does not abort an already implanted egg like darnie said, at least I am positive this is the case someone correct me if I'm wrong. You have to take it ASAP after having sex so you can get to the potential egg before it implants into the uterus.
yes yes im aware of all this. my point, though obscured, is that regardless of the reasoning behind the morning after pill (just in case or otherwise), one who takes it is still knowingly and consciously aborting a developing human. in the case of this big moral dilemma, it would be pretty hypocritical for me to say "oh it's ok to abort the human if it's not implanted on the uterus"

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
yes yes im aware of all this. my point, though obscured, is that regardless of the reasoning behind the morning after pill (just in case or otherwise), one who takes it is still knowingly and consciously aborting a developing human. in the case of this big moral dilemma, it would be pretty hypocritical for me to say "oh it's ok to abort the human if it's not implanted on the uterus"
no you are not knowingly and consciously aborting a developing human because there may not even be one there. You MIGHT be aborting a fertilised egg but there's no guarantee. People just take it because having unprotected sex tends to increase your chance of falling pregnant for some reason...

i get your point but it's not correct that you're automatically aborting a developing human by taking the morning after pill. If you were taking the abortion pill that would be different.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
what i meant was that in taking emergency contraception you know what the point of it is.

in indonesian firing squads, only one gun has the bullet loaded. would you agree though that those in the firing squad have undertaken a murderous task, and have more or less said to themselves "k i'm undertaking a task and there's a high chance that i'm going to kill someone."

in other words, regardless of the chances of the morning after pill actually doing the job, the moral crime is in the decision making rather than anywhere else.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emergency contraception has exactly the same point as regular contraception though, it does the same thing, it prevents pregancy from happening. The fact that there's a chance it's preventing pregnancy by possibly getting rid of a fertilised egg doesn't pose much of a moral dilemma for me in the sense that if you'd remembered to take your regular pill or use a condom properly you'd have warded off the potential pregancy also.

Like I do get what you mean in a way but I don't see why the MAP is so much more morally corrupt than taking normal contraception, there's not much of a difference.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Sperm + egg = baby
Sperm + nothing =/= baby
Egg + nothing =/= baby
nothing + killing =/= death (contraceptive pill)
baby + killing = death (morning after pill)

hence, the point is that the normal pill does not terminate a developing life; it prevents the initiation of a life. the morning after pill terminates a developing life. NOT ALWAYS, i realise that, but that is the point to the morning after pill, and knowingly taking the risk of killing a life is the morally corrupt issue.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Making the choice to supress life, when it would otherwise succeed, is also morally corrupt.

A peach without a stone: 'Remember no other peach now marketed is perfect and completely stoneless. When you buy Kaiser's Stoneless Peach you are buying full weight of succulent peach flesh and nothing else...'

Dennis recalled that he had once tried to eat one of Mr Kaiser's much advertised products and had discovered a ball of damp, sweet cotton-wool.
Kaiser owed nothing to women. The stoneless peach was his alone....

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Sperm + egg = baby
Sperm + nothing =/= baby
Egg + nothing =/= baby
nothing + killing =/= death (contraceptive pill)
baby + killing = death (morning after pill)

hence, the point is that the normal pill does not terminate a developing life; it prevents the initiation of a life. the morning after pill terminates a developing life. NOT ALWAYS, i realise that, but that is the point to the morning after pill, and knowingly taking the risk of killing a life is the morally corrupt issue.
I'm not really debating the fact that there's probably an ethical issue about it for some women. I just don't see it personally. In all likelihood if you're the kind of person who'd take the morning after pill you'd be the kind of person to book the abortionist if you got pregnant accidentally anyway (assuming you hadn't taken the MAP), so...y'know. I get the whole "omg you might be killing a baby" thing, I just figure it's not that big a deal if you were going to terminate any pregnancy you might have by other means anyway.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Yes...and I'm saying as far as I'm concerned there's not much that's morally corrupt about using the morning after pill in comparison to other means by which you might thwart a pregnancy.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
im totally pro abortion. no matter what the situation is, if the mother wants an abortion she should allowed. period.

though no1 should abort after 7 months into pregnancy.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
bigboyjames said:
im totally pro abortion. no matter what the situation is, if the mother wants an abortion she should allowed. period.

though no1 should abort after 7 months into pregnancy.
I think we should have mandatory abortions for the negro population. What are your thoughts?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Yes...and I'm saying as far as I'm concerned there's not much that's morally corrupt about using the morning after pill in comparison to other means by which you might thwart a pregnancy.
just because one thing is surrounded by other morally corrupt actions doesn't make it any less corrupt. oh my no.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
just because one thing is surrounded by other morally corrupt actions doesn't make it any less corrupt. oh my no.
I didn't say it makes it less corrupt at all. Just that I don't see that it's any more corrupt than any other means of averting pregnancy. And I'd be inclined to say that it's less morally murky than an actual abortion (as in at a clinic with a doctor scraping it out)

charlotte16

HSC
sorry, but im new to this and im not really sure how this works so i was wondering if someone could help me.
if i wanted to post a message like you have up the top there how do i do it?
thanks heaps.
x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)