• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rare glimpse of tribe hidden deep in Amazon (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

AMAZON Indians from one of the world's last uncontacted tribes have been photographed from the air, with striking images showing them painted bright red and brandishing bows and arrows at a helicopter.

The photographs of the tribe near the border between Brazil and Peru are rare evidence that such groups exist.

A Brazilian official involved in the expedition said many of them are in increasing danger from illegal logging.

"What is happening in this region is a monumental crime against the natural world, the tribes, the fauna and is further testimony to the complete irrationality with which we, the 'civilized' ones, treat the world," Jose Carlos Meirelles was quoted as saying in a statement by the Survival International group.

One of the pictures shows two Indian men covered in bright red pigment poised to fire arrows at the chopper while another Indian looks on.

Another photo shows about 15 Indians near thatched huts, some of them also preparing to fire arrows at the aircraft.

"The world needs to wake up to this, and ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law. Otherwise, they will soon be made extinct," said Stephen Corry, the director of Survival International, which supports tribal people around the world.

Of more than 100 uncontacted tribes worldwide, more than half live in either Brazil or Peru, Survival International says.

It says all are in grave danger of being forced off their land, killed and ravaged by new diseases.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23782262-2,00.html

More pictures:

http://www.news.com.au/gallery/0,23607,5032070-5007150,00.html

Fucking amazing, orange people!

Zrap

glock9
HSC
What do they do in that tribe besides make cool weapons?

Trajan

HSC
Not buying it, the shot where they are shooting arrows at the helicopter looks too contrived and the arrow is too complicated a weapon for them to have without some contact with other tribes via conflict or whatever.

OR perhaps they could be using such weapons for hunting which is another reason to develop weapons.

Shoubadoo

HSC
Trajan said:
Not buying it, the shot where they are shooting arrows at the helicopter looks too contrived and the arrow is too complicated a weapon for them to have without some contact with other tribes via conflict or whatever.

OR perhaps they could be using such weapons for hunting which is another reason to develop weapons.
Bow and arrows have been around for 40,000 years or longer, I think they could easily have invented those in order to survive.

But you never know with these shots.
Perhaps the tribes' people a helicopter before, because If I were them and I saw a huge flying thing coming at me I wouldn't fight, I'd flee.
WIMP :rolleyes:

Trajan

HSC
Yeah that's right Shoubadoo,

I wasnt aware of any developing technology of this type without having serious conflict with other tribes in the area or having expansive war fare in mind, which is usually what drives technological advancement, this is what lead me to believe that they may have come in contact with other tribes or at the very least been discovered but have been ignored because their part of the Amazon is not to be bulldozed.. just yet.

Also, to be fair- we arent talking about some advanced longbows or curved hornbows or anything, just simple basic bows.

I also bet you money that they're guarding the City of Gold!!!

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
I'm pissed they took a helicoptor over.

Leave them alone. If we suspect they exist, we don't need to harrass them and get photos for our own amusement.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What if their life expectancy is significantly lower, and we suspect that they're abusing their children?

Trajan

HSC
Iron said:
What if their life expectancy is significantly lower, and we suspect that they're abusing their children?

hmmm...that sounds strangely familiar... but lets not stereotype all indigenous Indians because of a few bad apples.

boris

Banned
HSC
Iron said:
Oh, WHAT IF!!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
By 2090 no Indigenous child will be gored to death by a spear or arrow.
Fresh Thinking

I think that the government with jurisdiction has a duty.
They're not fucking animals

boris

Banned
HSC
I can't tell whether you're trolling me right now, but ok.

I don't think we have any right to intrude. We don't need to go and visit them and rape them with disease, and we don't need to scare the fuck out of them with helicopters. I bet they're sitting around their campfires preparing for an apocalypse or something.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Clearly they are part of the Oompa Loompa family.
Not really, they're pretty well built.

They kind of remind me of abo's back in their days (in terms of appearance) but less black (except for one of them, but i dont know if he/she's painted his/her body or not)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's an interesting opinion.
I think it's a bit iffy. If goverment claims that everyone is legally equal and accountable to the same laws - EXCEPT in these circumstances, you undermine respect for the law, or respect for certain human beings. Either's bad.

boris

Banned
HSC
Iron said:
It's an interesting opinion.
I think it's a bit iffy. If goverment claims that everyone is legally equal and accountable to the same laws - EXCEPT in these circumstances, you undermine respect for the law, or respect for certain human beings. Either's bad.
Case in point, Aboriginals in arnhem land that claim they didn't know rape was illegal?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
boris said:
Case in point, Aboriginals in arnhem land that claim they didn't know rape was illegal?
Yeah, and why should they? It's a good tension point between our society's skin deep belief in universal human rights, and insistence on relativism/toleration/everyone should do whatever as long as it doesnt annoy me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)