Raw band cut-offs for English Extension 2 etc. (1 Viewer)

Captain pi

HSC
Are the aligned marks reported to students in courses such as English Extension 2 and Music Extension – where the "examination" is precisely the same each year: just a submitted work – subjected to an aligning process?

I think they are, because Lazarus' results indicate he received a Total Weighted Mark of 38/50 for Extension 2 English with an aligned examination mark of 46/50.

Why is this done? Shouldn't the marks correspond precisely to the aligned marks, as there is no change in standard to the "examination" each year?

Or is it to allow greater distinction between students? (Marks range from 0 - 50, instead of 25 - 50.) I don't think makes much sense.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Captain pi said:
Or is it to allow greater distinction between students? (Marks range from 0 - 50, instead of 25 - 50.) I don't think makes much sense.
This is correct. The raw marks need to adequately differentiate between students for scaling and UAI purposes.

However, your logic would seem to indicate that the raw band cut-offs for courses with no examination component should remain the same from year to year... when this doesn't seem to be the case. It's an interesting point, and might be worth investigating.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nice point, but the board also states that a mark of 25/50 indicates the minimum standard expected of students perhaps lower than 25/50 raw still might show a detailed enough knowlege to pass the subject, just as 38/50 raw may show enough to fit the description of a band 6. If the board has common sense (large assumption, but let's go with it until we find out evidence on this matter which says otherwise) I think that the same raw marks would align to the same aligned marks each year, because the same standards will be reached by a major work of the same mark each year.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Lazarus said:
This is correct. The raw marks need to adequately differentiate between students for scaling and UAI purposes.

However, your logic would seem to indicate that the raw band cut-offs for courses with no examination component should remain the same from year to year... when this doesn't seem to be the case. It's an interesting point, and might be worth investigating.
What was your a) raw mark b) aligned mark for Ext 1 English Laz?
Just deciding whether or not to drop Ext 1...at this point in time, it's looking like a waste of time. But then again, Crime Fiction might get a tad more interesting later in the year :cough: :rolleyes:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Well, yes - I have a program that I use to generate the code automatically.

But you might have to do some manual editing in notepad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)