Raw Marks Application Form (Pro-forma) (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Enjoy.

N.B. Take caution when using this; I take no responsibility if your application is rejected or declined. Ensure you change it enough to sound formal enough, because it is a legal document.

Ensure you include the $30 processing fee.

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EQXOJ5C5

jet

Banned
HSC
If you are under 18, it is only $15 as there is a 50% rebate for children. So get in before your birthday and you'll save some cash.

ibbi00

HSC
Sweet. Let us know how your application pans out so we know whether to use this form :p. I am expecting lower than average raw marks for this year.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are under 18, it is only $15 as there is a 50% rebate for children. So get in before your birthday and you'll save some cash.
Oh, thanks for throwing that in there; I wasn't aware of the children's discount... Good idea to get in before you turn 18 then :)
I'll be sure to share the outcome of my application with you guys, use the pro-forma however you wish and at your own discretion.

paul5666

HSC
This is unfortunately incorrect. The 50% discount only applies to the processing fees (the extra $30 per hour after the initial free 20 hours). The application fee of $30 has no discount and must be paid in full when the application is lodged.

edit: i'm sorry, I think I've made a mistake. It seems BOS is different to other agencies like RTA (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/foi/index.html) where "There is no 50 per cent reduction in the application fee"
BOS (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/gipa/#request-cost) however says "Rebates of 50 percent are offered on all charges". Keyword being ALL.

I think I'll submit my application in person on Monday or so =)
I'm using the form available on the BOS site http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/gipa/gipa-access-application-form.pdf

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
This is unfortunately incorrect. The 50% discount only applies to the processing fees (the extra $30 per hour after the initial free 20 hours). The application fee of $30 has no discount and must be paid in full when the application is lodged.
Well when I sent in my application last year I sent $15 and mentioned in my application that I was under 18 and they accepted my application. They even gave me more information than I originally asked for.

To quote the Board of Studies website

Rebates
Rebates of 50 percent are offered on all charges:
  • for pensioners with the Health Benefit Card as well as those with an equivalent income who are under financial hardship
  • for non-profit organisations under financial hardship
  • special public interest
  • for children.
Where you mentioned that the RTA is different, the FOI act says that the respective organisation determines their own fees, not the act itself.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
BOS person should send everything to wikileaks and then we won't have to deal with the bullshit notion of paying for results.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Schedule 2 of the GIPA Act - Exluded information

"The Department of Education and Training-functions relating to the storing of, reporting on or analysis of information with respect to the ranking or assessment of students who have completed the Higher School Certificate for entrance into tertiary institutions."

Dunno whether that applies to raw marks or not, hm, will be interesting to see given i've met one of the senior people at OIC for NSW and she's pretty full on about making sure stuff is released

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Schedule 2 of the GIPA Act - Exluded information

"The Department of Education and Training-functions relating to the storing of, reporting on or analysis of information with respect to the ranking or assessment of students who have completed the Higher School Certificate for entrance into tertiary institutions."

Dunno whether that applies to raw marks or not, hm, will be interesting to see given i've met one of the senior people at OIC for NSW and she's pretty full on about making sure stuff is released
That's true - but I think because of precedent in the past, they'd have to allow it. Though my Legal Studies intuition tells me statute > common law.

Still, we can dream =(

---

Edit: It's also on the BOS' GIPA page:

Presumption against disclosure in some cases

The ‘balancing’ approach to the public interest test applies in most circumstances. However, in relation to 12 categories of information, there is always an overriding public interest against disclosure. These are:

1. Information subject to an overriding secrecy law (26 specifically named Acts)
2. Cabinet information
3. Executive Council information
4. Information subject to the direction or order of a court or other body with the power to receive evidence on oath, or to Parliamentary privilege
5. Information subject to legal professional privilege
6. ‘Excluded information’ (judicial and prosecutorial information, information about complaints handling and investigative functions, competitive and market sensitive information, information in relation to specific functions of the Public Trustee, and information about the ranking and assessment of students completing the HSC)
7. Documents affecting law enforcement and public safety
8. Specific information relating to transport safety
9. Specific information relating to adoption procedures and records
10. Specific reports concerning the care and protection of children
11. Information contained in the Register of Interests kept in relation to the Ministerial Code of Conduct
12. Specific information relating to Aboriginal and environmental heritage.

Generally, agencies must not publish and must refuse requests to disclose information in the above categories. Formal applications for ‘excluded information’ are invalid under the Act.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/gipa/#presumtion-against-disclosure

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
My understanding is that the intention of that provision (which applies to universities also) is to prevent disclosure of the scaling process in which the ATAR is derived. In any case, the agency can decide to release the information informally if it wants to. The Board's policy changed following the Ombudsman's report after which they vowed to provide greater transparency in the marking process. This included indicating that they would release raw marks on request.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh yeah that Ombudsman report that made the BOS super embarrassed...

I suppose I can shove that in their faces in person if I decide to go rant to them at their own office.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Well the fellow that rang me yesterday, saying that they would - I quote - "gladly process your application once the HSC results are released on Wednesday".

If they don't give me my stuff and marks, I want my $30 back! haha.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Niice.

I'm sending mine in on the 15th... in person! In an envelope so I can run away before I get interrogated by their officials and prodding me with questions on why I want their seekrit information =P

paul5666

HSC
Just got a call from BOS to let me know that I need to pay another $15 as there is not discount on the application fee of $30. Bummer. Here's to another trip to the city...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

paul5666

HSC
I am a child. My licence even gives my 18th birthday to be next year. This isn't being disputed. The GIPA guy at BOS just told me that the website was incorrect and wants me to come in and pay the extra $15.

What do I do?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Complain to the Office of Fair Trading or something? If their website is incorrect - then why don't they fix it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)