Raw Marks Application Form (Pro-forma) (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I plan on giving my school a copy of my entire package so that they can be educated on the processes of aligning and moderation.

My English teacher also wants to get a copy of my raw marks and transcripts in both English exams so she can see what I did, since they would possibly be the best marks I've ever gotten and the best English (Advanced) mark the school has seen in a while.

P.S. To post above: I recommend doing this this way if you want the entire package for a cheap price. Otherwise you just get raw marks for cheap, and only raw marks - transcripts cost a fortune, like $30 each. Feel free to choose your option though.

NewiJapper

HSC
I'm kind of getting my raw marks for the same reason you are Aquawhite. Every year we have people go through doing Japanese and each year we always have someone that is quite good at Jap etc etc But each year, our teacher tries her best but we can never, ever get a band 6. I was quite confident I was going to get 90 in Jap cont. but I ended up with an 84 which was very confusing. Hopefully my application will show me where I went wrong and whether they actually do "mark hard in japanese" or whether it isn't being taught the best way :p

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well if the BOS people are reading this - hopefully they can see we're applying so we can know more about this mysterious thing - and not just for... what other random reason they thought of - like perhaps the undermining of government power or something...

ibbi00

HSC
I think I would do good for the community here if I apply for my English Standard raw marks. Does anyone know if I can apply for one subject by itself?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You can apply for raw marks in an individual subject via the Students Online site, I believe.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can only apply from February 28 - I believe.

ibbi, just use this pro-forma (or be like me and use ajd's (?) guide and this one and make your own) and apply just for English Standard marks, scripts and the like. It'll cost you $30 all up.

If you are going to apply, I'd suggest applying for all your subject's marks and scripts. Might as well. It'll still be $30.

Unless we find that the BOS will be mean to us and say: "No, wait until Feb. 28 and apply from then."

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
You can only apply from February 28 - I believe.

ibbi, just use this pro-forma (or be like me and use ajd's (?) guide and this one and make your own) and apply just for English Standard marks, scripts and the like. It'll cost you $30 all up.
My guide is in with all the old content that's unavailable - I have another copy of it somewhere on one of my computers which I can't find... :(

If you are going to apply, I'd suggest applying for all your subject's marks and scripts. Might as well. It'll still be $30.
^ This.

Unless we find that the BOS will be mean to us and say: "No, wait until Feb. 28 and apply from then."
If they do, be awesome, and write them a nasty letter threatening to write to the Information Commissioner/Ombudsman/MP/legal action... :haha:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You mean... this guide?

This information was originally written for the former Freedom of Information Act 1989, which has been repealed and replaced with the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. I have updated this guide for the new Act, however if there's any mistakes you spot here, please tell me!

I've written up this quick guide for anyone who wants to make a request for access to their raw marks. If I've missed anything please say so.

At present, if you want your raw marks from the Board of Studies, you may lodge a request for access to information under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act) asking for the information you're looking for. You should be able to request this information from around early December.

An application for access under the GIPA Act is subject to the strict legal criteria in the Act. A Board officer will assess your application in accordance with the Act, and they are legally required to provide the information requested unless the Act exempts it from release. In the event that the Board refuses to grant you access to information, you have the right to have the decision reviewed. For more information about the GIPA Act, contact the NSW Office of the Information Commissioner. (http://www.oic.nsw.gov.au/)

Before spending money on a formal access application, you should try requesting the information informally. Contact the Office of the Board of Studies via email (service@bos.nsw.edu.au). As far as I am aware, no-one has attempted to obtain this information informally. As an informal request has no legal significance, they may not provide the information at this stage.

Alternatively, you may choose to make a request for this information under section 14 of the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998. These requests are (at least initially) free of charge, however the law does not specify a strict timeframe for the Board of Studies to respond, so they could take longer than making a request under the GIPA Act. Again, as far as I know, no-one has attempted such a request as yet.

If you have decided you want to go ahead with a formal application for access under the GIPA Act:

1. Write a letter to:
GIPA Coordinator
Office of the Board of Studies
GPO Box 5300
SYDNEY NSW 2001
Alternatively, you can use the BOS-provided GIPA form (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/gipa/gipa-access-application-form.pdf) however I prefer typing to handwriting

2. State that you are making an application for access to information under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009.

3. Ask for the information you want in relation to your HSC enrolment:

* raw marks and weighted marks for each question
* details of optional question scaling
* state rank
* initial school assessment mark
* initial moderated assessment mark
* copies of examination scripts (within 6 months of HSC marking)
* details of the marking of major works (if applicable)

State that the information you are seeking is considered 'personal information'. Note that if it takes the BOS staff more than 20 hours to find the information requested, they may bill you at a rate of $30 per hour, but it is unlikely that it will take that long to process.

4. List your personal details: at a minimum, your name, DOB, postal address within Australia and BOS student number. You will probably want to attach some identification certified by a school official, JP, police officer or similar official.

5. You may state your preferred form for receiving the requested information. By default, they'll post it to you, but you can request any other format e.g. email or fax. Remember to give the relevant contact details if you request an alternative format.

6. You will generally need to attach payment for the application fee, in the form of a cheque or money order. The application fee is $30. Under the GIPA Act, full-time students, pensioners and those suffering financial hardship can claim a 50% discount on processing fees, however this does not apply to the application fee. If you are suffering financial hardship, you can request that the application fee be completely waived, however this is at the discretion of the Board.

7. Send!

The Board is required to respond within 20 working days of receiving your application, however there are some circumstances where they may extend the time if they need to retrieve archived records. If you have made errors in your application or there are issues that need to be discussed, a Board officer should contact you and assist you in amending your application or resolving the issues.

In the event that access to your information is denied, you have the right to a non-binding review by the Information Commissioner (free), a formal internal review (fees apply), or a legally binding review by the Administrative Decisions Tribunal (fees apply). If this happens, contact the Office of the Information Commissioner for further advice - and post the details up here!

Once you've got your marks, please post them up here and I'll add them to the list - this will help future students who want to know more about how the alignment system works.

Useful Links

Office of the Information Commissioner (NSW)
Office of the Board of Studies - GIPA Guidelines (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/gipa/)

FAQs

Will my request take over 20 hours, resulting in a processing charge?

Probably not. I requested all this information, and wasn't charged anything beyond the application fee. According to the Board of Studies annual reports, they have had very few, if any, requests that take more than 20 hours to process. Most likely, a standard request would take 10 hours or less, which is included for free in the application fee.

Can I request that my raw marks and exam scripts be sent to me by email?

Yes. Just state that on your application and be sure to include your email address.

How long do I have to make my request?

If you want full examination scripts, you must apply within 6 months of the conclusion of HSC marking. However, if you only want your raw marks, rankings and similar information, you can apply at any time.

When is the earliest I can lodge an application?

The earliest you should lodge an application is around results day (i.e. the middle Wednesday of December) in the year you complete the exam.
I saved it while I could =P

And I shall write them a mean letter! I'll also give them an obscene amount of time to reply - like twenty four hours. And then the last sentence of my letter will be, "Your twenty-four hours starts now... chienne". Nah, I might get shot if I do that..

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm applying for raw marks using the BOS provided GIPA access application, but it doesn't seem to ask specifically for the student's BOS student number- should I just mention it in there anyway?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm applying for raw marks using the BOS provided GIPA access application, but it doesn't seem to ask specifically for the student's BOS student number- should I just mention it in there anyway?
I say mine. They will need it in order to find your papers more efficiently. It's likely there is someone with the same name.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Why don't they just release the raw marks for free the money-hungry a-holes

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Or, beat them at their own game and send in an application now that means you can apply for $300 worth of stuff for $30!

GregoryB

HSC
Sent mine in last Wednesday with my $30. If they send it back asking for more money I'll be sure to sharpen my pitchfork.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Definitely add it. They'll be able to identify you from other information, but you want to make it as easy and efficient as possible.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
And that way they won't charge you extra fees if it's going to take them a long time just to find your stuff.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How long is the wait usually? I'm starting to get a bit anxious...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You probably won't get anything until like mid January.
So I assume they'll either accept/deny or make a 'decision' and then send a letter to us before the 20 days is up and then send over the raw marks and scripts?

Because I got the 'valid' letter today. Essentially goes, "We got your letter on this date, and you wanted this information. Your application is... valid! And we'll decide in the next 20 days". And then it goes into 'what to do if we refuse' and 'charges in processing it' along with 'disclosure log'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)