Raw Marks Database (1 Viewer)

Jojofelyx

HSC
Outcomes fam... someone who got 57 was able to *almost* satisfy what is classified as a “band 5 outcome” in the new syllabus.
aight blud, thats a messed up system. 57 raw almost a band 5.

idkkdi

HSC
2020 chem, says 57 went to 79, so im assuming a 60 would get like 81 or 82. And just like you said, course is easier so how the hell are the marks getting launched up so high??
no.
at lower aligned marks,
we're looking at like 5 raw marks per aligned mark.
so 57 - 79
57+5 - 80.

Jojofelyx

HSC
no.
at lower aligned marks,
we're looking at like 5 raw marks per aligned mark.
so 57 - 79
57+5 - 80.
Oh. Right i see. So ATAR calculators arent messed up, i can aim for x raw and get y aligned and plonk y aligned into z atar calculator and get out x result, and itll be pretty reliable. fair enough

Qeru

HSC
aight blud, thats a messed up system. 57 raw almost a band 5.
Most of the marks lost arent due to understanding but rather due to some minor detail or super tiny lack of detail cause they are so damn nitpicky

idkkdi

HSC
Oh. Right i see. So ATAR calculators arent messed up, i can aim for x raw and get y aligned and plonk y aligned into z atar calculator and get out x result, and itll be pretty reliable. fair enough
no.
you don't get raw marks when you put in aligned marks into something like hsc ninja
it only shows the scaled mark underneath.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Suggest checking out this flowchart to understand the high level process

Aligned marks are used only for the HSC as an award. Scaled marks are only used for the ATAR.

idkkdi

HSC
Suggest checking out this flowchart to understand the process

Aligned marks are used only for the HSC as an award. Scaled marks are only used for the ATAR.
for future reference, anyone concerned about the process please read this.

Jojofelyx

HSC
no.
you don't get raw marks when you put in aligned marks into something like hsc ninja
it only shows the scaled mark underneath.
I meant raw mark-> aligned from rawmarksdatabase -> put into calculator -> ATAR -> pretty reliable

idkkdi

HSC
I meant raw mark-> aligned from rawmarksdatabase -> put into calculator -> ATAR -> pretty reliable
except not really. make sure to only look at new syllabus scores and atars.
it's changed quite a bit.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Alignment occurs because marks are outcome based i.e band 6 in English might be “demonstrates outstanding understanding...” band 4 might be “soundly ...”. You don’t need a 90+ mark to show “outstanding understanding”. If someone this year was able to scrape all those descriptive outcomes with a raw 85, but the person with a raw 84 couldn’t satisfy all, then the band 6 gets pegged at a raw 85 which will align up to a 90.
Pretty much this. The point of the HSC record of achievement (which is not used for ATAR calculation) is to show to employers that this student has demonstrated skill XYZ which is defined as per the band descriptors (see an example of this for English Advanced). This is more useful to an employer than a simple raw mark. It also allows comparability between different HSC years (i.e. students are not advantaged/disadvantaged much by variations in "difficulty" each year).

Of course, for students with a primary aim to get into university, the focus is purely on the ATAR. The alignment process doesn't really serve much purpose for such cases.

quickoats

HSC
2020 chem, says 57 went to 79, so im assuming a 60 would get like 81 or 82. And just like you said, course is easier so how the hell are the marks getting launched up so high??
Alignment is not linear - a 60ish in MX2 will go up to 80 whereas a 99 will go to a 99 :(. With scaling, both of these move up to not-so-different ATAR equivalents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)