HSC
Advanced English
PDHPE
Business Studies
Chemistry
Biology

enoilgam

HSC
Chemistry is usually mid 70's/100, however last year it was 72/100. I think business is around low-mid 80's/100 (most often 83,84). I'm not too sure about you other subjects. You should note that aligning standards can change significantly from year to year

enoilgam

HSC
Physics is usually mid-late 70's/100 (I think it was 75/100 last year).

mark H

HSC
Advanced English
PDHPE
Business Studies
Chemistry
Biology
Advanced English: Low 80's
Business: Low 80's
Chemistry: Low 70's
Biology: Low 80's

Keep in mind because exam difficulty changes for year to year these are very hard to precisely estimate.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Keep in mind because exam difficulty changes for year to year these are very hard to precisely estimate.
+1

Even the marking difficulty can change from year to year and all other kinds of factors such as the cohort...etc.

fakermaker

HSC
Can anyone explain what this thread is about?

I was under the impression that ALL band 6s are 90+ raw mark...Why does each subject change? Is there a specific list of past band 6 raw marks?

If not, could anyone point me in the direction of:

Eng Adv
Eng Ex1
Modern Hist
Hist Ex
IPT
Multimedia

I'd really appreciate it

enoilgam

HSC
I thought the same thing. However, for the vast majority of subjects you dont need a raw mark of 90 to get a band 6. For your subjects, you need low-mid 80's/100 for a band 6 in modern (most years its 83-84/100). I'm not sure about the rest.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Can anyone explain what this thread is about?

I was under the impression that ALL band 6s are 90+ raw mark...Why does each subject change? Is there a specific list of past band 6 raw marks?

If not, could anyone point me in the direction of:

Eng Adv
Eng Ex1
Modern Hist
Hist Ex
IPT
Multimedia

I'd really appreciate it
No, a 'band' refers to a 'performance band'. It means you performed at a standard equivalent to the top band. For instance, if one exam was EXTREMELY hard and nobody got over 90, that wouldn't mean people weren't performing at a high standard necessarily, just that the exam was difficult. How can different subjects be compared across the board?! Just think about your school exams. Some of them are so easy everyone gets above 90% but that doesn't always mean everyone's performing well. Some of them are so difficult nobody gets above 80%.

Not sure but you may be confusing the raw mark with the aligned mark (not the scaled mark)... the mark on your HSC report will be 'aligned' in the performance bands e.g. 90 = band 6, 89 = band 5. Those are NOT your raw marks.

There is no specific list but you can take a look at the 2009/2010 raw mark threads to see how some marks have aligned in various subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)