• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Raw marks question (1 Viewer)

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
I was looking at the raw marks database for English advanced and saw that some of the raw marks were 89.5, 83.5 etc. Do they give half marks in the HSC? How does an exam out of 100 lead to a percentage with a decimal?

synthesisFR

HSC
I was looking at the raw marks database for English advanced and saw that some of the raw marks were 89.5, 83.5 etc. Do they give half marks in the HSC? How does an exam out of 100 lead to a percentage with a decimal?
i think its bc theres 2 markers and if theres only a small difference between the marks they give u they average it, leading to half marks
but if the difference is big a third marker reads ur essay?

goodcat911

HSC
does the hsc round up? if ur internal mark is lets say 88 and ur external is 91 (after allignment and everything else), would u get a 90 for that subject, or an 89?

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
i think its bc theres 2 markers and if theres only a small difference between the marks they give u they average it, leading to half marks
but if the difference is big a third marker reads ur essay?
honestly i dont have much knowledge about this but i doubt they would have 2 markers for hsc. ik this is how many schools do it internally tho, like double mark essays.
maybe its just that they give half marks like 18.5/20?????

carrotsss

HSC
honestly i dont have much knowledge about this but i doubt they would have 2 markers for hsc. ik this is how many schools do it internally tho, like double mark essays.
maybe its just that they give half marks like 18.5/20?????
hes right, they do have 2 markers to make it less subjective. if theres too much of discrepancy between the two marks they get a senior marker to figure it out

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
oh wow thats good i guess.
i wouldn't be surprised if every 2nd paper one marker gave 16 and another gave 19, cause English is so subjective lol

carrotsss

HSC
oh wow thats good i guess.
i wouldn't be surprised if every 2nd paper one marker gave 16 and another gave 19, cause English is so subjective lol
ive heard its actually pretty consistent, one of my teachers told me they get locked out if they do too many inaccurate marks on decoy "standard" responses so eventually they get sorta trained to give the right marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)