raw marks (1 Viewer)

NewiJapper

HSC
I guess we will have to wait till monday hey Shadowdude? They really should do the post on weekends!

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
got my results today.

eng (a) 94 ----> 95 [this is really weird coz the tm to twm is like inflated heaps beyond that of optional scaling...confusing]

hey man, just wondering was this 94% raw --> 95% ? or 94/105-> 95%

cheers

either way this year's english aligning was fuked!@!

blackratpoo

HSC
hey man, just wondering was this 94% raw --> 95% ? or 94/105-> 95%

cheers

either way this year's english aligning was fuked!@!
Actually, in the explanatory notes is goes through the whole thing. In english, the tm firstly undergoes the process of optional scaling (as most subjects do). However, then there is an extra step. They compare the advanced modules to the standard modules using paper 1 as a medium for comparison. So, in fact the whole modules paper is optional scaled against the whole standard modules paper. This is why the twm is so high. Like my raw tm was 87.17 or something which went up to 94. Then the alignment process begins. And because all the marks are so high, they don't align as much. Hence, the only 1 mark gain in my case.

So really my raw raw mark was 87.17 to 95 however if you take that extra process into account, it is 94 to 95.

Just read your question and realised i hadnt answered it, lol. It is 94% to 95%. They weight everything to 0.888888 in paper one as it only counts 40%. This allows for a tm out of 100.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Actually, in the explanatory notes is goes through the whole thing. In english, the tm firstly undergoes the process of optional scaling (as most subjects do). However, then there is an extra step. They compare the advanced modules to the standard modules using paper 1 as a medium for comparison. So, in fact the whole modules paper is optional scaled against the whole standard modules paper. This is why the twm is so high. Like my raw tm was 87.17 or something which went up to 94. Then the alignment process begins. And because all the marks are so high, they don't align as much. Hence, the only 1 mark gain in my case.

So really my raw raw mark was 87.17 to 95 however if you take that extra process into account, it is 94 to 95.

Just read your question and realised i hadnt answered it, lol. It is 94% to 95%. They weight everything to 0.888888 in paper one as it only counts 40%. This allows for a tm out of 100.

thanx for clearing it up :devil:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
how exactly do we apply for it? can i still apply? cause i am really curious about my biology ranking :D

since someone here posted they got 95 for biology and a ranking of 32 in the state. I got 95 as well :D

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Probably don't say, "I heard of someone on the BOS forum who already got theirs back"... he may react negatively because he'll know this 'seekrit' information is now being plastered for the world to see.

But has it passed the 20 working days yet? I still have a week to go until I'm going to write an angry letter =P
If you lodged your request on the 15th, it's still only the 19th working day - remember there have been 3 weekdays that are public holidays. Then add on at least an extra day for the post. (And yes, the package is big, but not so big that it can't be fitted into a standard AusPost Tough Bag, no need for couriers. :p )

As for whether they know about all this discussion going on here, if you read the Ombudsman's report you'll know they're maintaining a secret intelligence file on us all anyway. :p (Or at least, they did that on the people attempting to get their raw marks back a few years ago.)

determine

Premium Member
HSC

So are you saying that your twm is actually 99/105, since that is 94%? Also, for our subjects, which mark do we go on as our 'raw mark'? Is it the tm or the twm? thanks!!

ajdlinux

HSC
So are you saying that your twm is actually 99/105, since that is 94%? Also, for our subjects, which mark do we go on as our 'raw mark'? Is it the tm or the twm? thanks!!
I'd say TWM, as that accounts for the modification to optional question scores and reweighting of English papers.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you lodged your request on the 15th, it's still only the 19th working day - remember there have been 3 weekdays that are public holidays. Then add on at least an extra day for the post. (And yes, the package is big, but not so big that it can't be fitted into a standard AusPost Tough Bag, no need for couriers. :p )

As for whether they know about all this discussion going on here, if you read the Ombudsman's report you'll know they're maintaining a secret intelligence file on us all anyway. :p (Or at least, they did that on the people attempting to get their raw marks back a few years ago.)
I submitted mine on the 17th. Still... this is ridiculous. Though I already had an inkling of the seekrit tabs on this forum.

And ah okay, so it'll be in the normal mail. That clears one thing up.

ajdlinux

HSC
I submitted mine on the 17th. Still... this is ridiculous. Though I already had an inkling of the seekrit tabs on this forum.

And ah okay, so it'll be in the normal mail. That clears one thing up.
In which case they still have at least three more working days to decide your application. Also keep in mind that this year it seems there's quite a few more people submitting requests than last year, OBOS is a fairly small department and it takes time to handle these things. I can understand your impatience but just remember that at the end of the day they're legally bound to handle your request and it will happen soon enough.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I suppose I'm annoyed because they were perfectly able to send me a letter about it same day (though it arrived three days later) - saying my application was valid... and then now this wait. Ah well, patience is a virtue. /me sighs

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
aah came back from queensland the other day to find two packages from BOS waiting for me, got all excited about it, and it turned out that neither were raw marks. oh well, back to waiting :\

ajdlinux

HSC
I suppose I'm annoyed because they were perfectly able to send me a letter about it same day (though it arrived three days later) - saying my application was valid... and then now this wait. Ah well, patience is a virtue. /me sighs
There's a slight difference between sending you a pro-forma letter using their document management system and manually tracking down all your exam scripts. :p

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I just received word that my application was successful and I received e-copies of the stuff I requested. I should receive hard copies in the mail soon. I shall find a suitable place to post them shortly.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There's a slight difference between sending you a pro-forma letter using their document management system and manually tracking down all your exam scripts. :p
Well, it can't be that difficult... if they have a good sorting and storage system.

ajdlinux

HSC
Well, it can't be that difficult... if they have a good sorting and storage system.
More time-consuming than difficult. I'd expect the papers would be kept at a different location from the decision maker and GIPA Coordinator, so they'd have to find, move, photocopy and move back before they even get around to sending off your package.

Of course by all means complain if they don't make 20 working days, which should be this Wednesday plus a day or two in the post.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So say, if I don't get the package on Wednesday... do I write a letter and complain then - or allow the rest of the week for postage and complain the week after?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I was contacted through email of my successful application, and also because I requested e-copies of the materials that I wanted... because I know that would come faster and allow me to just wait for the full package in the mail.

ajdlinux

HSC
So say, if I don't get the package on Wednesday... do I write a letter and complain then - or allow the rest of the week for postage and complain the week after?
I'd suggest you wait the rest of the week before sending a letter - it's going to be embarassing if you send off the complaint only to find it arrives the next day. If you're feeling brave, you can give them a call and ask whether it's been sent off yet.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
ye maths, chem, physics align like crazy

*In 2009, a 76 in physics aligned to 87 iirc
* Chem, 55->80~ [2009]

i think you'll find most, if not all, commerce subject band 6 cut offs usually lie around mid to low 80s..
Commerce subjects tend to scale less because they are seen to have not as high of a difficulty as saying the sciences or the maths so this occurs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)