• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Raw marks (2 Viewers)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
For MX1, I'm think the cut-off for a Band 6 is usually around 56-60/84
that seems a little low for MX1

not that i'm complaining... however.. a freind of mine reckons he got 75-79 as a raw mark for 2004 MX1 HSC.. which equated to a 45/50

who knows.. although it does depend on the difficultly of the test which varies from yr to yr

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
physician said:

not that i'm complaining... however.. a freind of mine reckons he got 75-79 as a raw mark for 2004 MX1 HSC.. which equated to a 45/50

who knows.. although it does depend on the difficultly of the test which varies from yr to yr
Thats incorrect. He might have been overestimating his mark. I got 75/84 in the 2004 HSC and that equated to 48/50 for maths ext 1.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
physician said:

And along with what acmilan said...I'm pretty sure that my raw mark was around 74-75 (definitely no more than 76) and I got 48/50 for the 2004 exam. I'd guess that fior a 45/50, he must have got somewhere around 55-62/84 I'd imagine.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
princessj said:
hearing u guys say u need 65 or 75 even 85 sound cool... but how easy is it to get that mark?
Well, 64% of the MX2 exam should be Component A (i.e. bookwork) while the rest may require a degree of logic and reasoning. So theoretically every student should be able to get 77/120 if they've attended class and satisfactorily completed homework.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
princessj said:
hearing u guys say u need 65 or 75 even 85 sound cool... but how easy is it to get that mark?
How hard are you prepared to work?

The first 4 questions are giveaway marks. In all seriousness, if you do enough papers you'll have them out of the way with 95% of the marks in 60 minutes, possibly less. Questions 5 and 6 you should be able to recognise at least 50% of the content from previous questions and get it easily. So that gives you so far 62.5% of the marks should be easily gettable by any 4u maths student within the first 90 minutes. Then you have another 90 minutes at your disposal, and even if you only manage to add another 10% to that total, you'll be around 90/120, and sitting on a probable band E4.

The key to recognising that 62.5% is doing past papers. Do at least 40 and you should be fine, combine that with a bit of natural ability and you're set for a mid band E4.

Last edited:

physician

HSC
acmilan said:
Thats incorrect. He might have been overestimating his mark. I got 75/84 in the 2004 HSC and that equated to 48/50 for maths ext 1.
lol.... sorry dudes... i meant as a percentage... which is about 63-66/84

sorrry.......

by the way... what do u guys think a raw mark of 50/84 in MXI would equate to...?

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
physician said:
lol.... sorry dudes... i meant as a percentage... which is about 63-66/84

sorrry.......

by the way... what do u guys think a raw mark of 50/84 in MXI would equate to...?
Depending on the year, maybe low-mid 80s...

FinalFantasy

HSC
damn there better not be probability in this years MX2 or that would be minus a few marks off for me already :vcross:

Tuna

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
How hard are you prepared to work?

The first 4 questions are giveaway marks. In all seriousness, if you do enough papers you'll have them out of the way with 95% of the marks in 60 minutes, possibly less. Questions 5 and 6 you should be able to recognise at least 50% of the content from previous questions and get it easily. So that gives you so far 62.5% of the marks should be easily gettable by any 4u maths student within the first 90 minutes. Then you have another 90 minutes at your disposal, and even if you only manage to add another 10% to that total, you'll be around 90/120, and sitting on a probable band E4.

The key to recognising that 62.5% is doing past papers. Do at least 40 and you should be fine, combine that with a bit of natural ability and you're set for a mid band E4.
That's the HSC mark how about if you rank badly in school?

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
Tuna said:
That's the HSC mark how about if you rank badly in school?
depends on the class. 50/50 assesment/exam, although your assesment is likely to reflect your chances for the exams.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
physician said:
r u serious dude... woah man... that's higher than i'd ever have thought...
Well, a friend of mine believed he probably only got around 54 or 55/84 in last year's exam and his exam mark of 46/50. Mind you, 46 could have been anywhere from 45.5 to 46.49 due to rounding, so it's difficult to give an exact estimate. But I would imagine that 50/84 would at least get you 80.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
damn there better not be probability in this years MX2 or that would be minus a few marks off for me already :vcross:
I think there was probability in last year's exam and they don't put probability into every exam, so hopefully there won't be any this year :)

physician

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Well, a friend of mine believed he probably only got around 54 or 55/84 in last year's exam and his exam mark of 46/50. Mind you, 46 could have been anywhere from 45.5 to 46.49 due to rounding, so it's difficult to give an exact estimate. But I would imagine that 50/84 would at least get you 80.

I guess there's still hope for me yet then.. i am well aware that this depends on the difficulty of the exam and how good the canditure is for 05...

but i would assume it'll be similar every year.. unless they have either a relatively easy exam.. or an exteremly hard exam...

anyways.. thanks for ur input ~ReNcH~

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
physician said:
I guess there's still hope for me yet then.. i am well aware that this depends on the difficulty of the exam and how good the canditure is for 05...

but i would assume it'll be similar every year.. unless they have either a relatively easy exam.. or an exteremly hard exam...

anyways.. thanks for ur input ~ReNcH~
No probs...
Although in regards to your statement above (bold), the aligning of the exam is entirely independent of the quality of the candidature and is based solely on the exam itself - just to avoid any confusion in future :p

physician

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
No probs...
Although in regards to your statement above (bold), the aligning of the exam is entirely independent of the quality of the candidature and is based solely on the exam itself - just to avoid any confusion in future :p
hmm interesting... i guess that's even better then....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)