• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

RE;business and commerce (1 Viewer)

smiless

HSC
Hi everyone!! just wondering has anyone completed (or is completing) HR/IR and Management as their major?? if So...how difficult are these two majorss...

Thanks...

L

LaraB

I'm doing HRM/IR.

It's not really a question of how difficult each major is... teh business courses are about the same level of difficulty... they try to keep them at a similar level by restricting what units of what levels you can and can't take.

As far as the HRM/IR major though, provided you do your work and turn up to class and don't cheat/plagiarise and put in some effort, it's not hard. You would only really find it hard if you weren't prepared and didn't put in a decent effort because the work load is really reasonable - you'd only find it to be tough if you delayed getting it all done and had to cram everything last minute.

You'll find a lot of the assignments, you can pass doing shit all, but if you want a decent mark, especially if you're after HDs, you can expect to need to do your research and be willing to put up with lengthy, boring readings at times.

You should be willing also to be engaged in more legalistic style work since a lot of eth degree relates to the IR reforms etc.

It can be a pain in the butt wen you have group work which a lot of business degrees do because a lot of whether you enjoy it or do well depends on group compatability but that's just one of those things you've gotta get used to.

So i suppose provided you're willing to put in some work you'll be right - it's only hard if you don't make an attempt at it. :)

fai69

HSC
i do business and commerce and 2007 is going to be my second year.I just want know are their sub majors in this degree and if so is it simply jus doin half the core subjects of that major?

L

LaraB

fai69 said:
i do business and commerce and 2007 is going to be my second year.I just want know are their sub majors in this degree and if so is it simply jus doin half the core subjects of that major?

look at the handbook on teh website - they're all listed there along with what units you have to do to get each of them.

klh

HSC
Difficulty depends on what you are good at and your interest, motivation and goals. I did a major in management, sub majored in employment relations [HR].
Like LaraB said, if youre after HD's, you need to do alot of work, research and have the skills required to be critical, analytical and write in an eloquent and original way.
HR i felt was much easier for me than management, especially exam time as they usually tell us the topics in the exam, in management, they do so but they dont have very good lecture notes as the HR lecturers. But both require more skills in english rather than mathematics, so reading, snythesising, arguing, understanding differing perspctives etc. are requirements.
but if you want a job, management is not a great go, its interesting and helps you understand business in its way [just as other majors focus on different ways a busienss functions], you cant go into management without experience, so note that. otherwise, management is very theory based, lots of reading academic texts [like really academic stuff that makes you think wtf am i reading?]. I felt that HR, though limited in my expreince of the study, had more easeir texts t oread, and therefore added to my interest.

if you want to know the available sub majors, check the degree you want t osub major in, e.g. if oyu like accounting, check B. Bus Accg in the handbook, scroll down and they should lael it for non-accg students the units to do.

fai69

HSC
LaraB said:
look at the handbook on teh website - they're all listed there along with what units you have to do to get each of them.
I know what subjects are for what major but what i want to know is if a sub major simply just doing half the subjects of a major.My friend said business and commerce dont get sub majors or something so im not sure if i will be acknowledged if i did a sub major(assuming that it really is just half the subjects of a major).

dude01

HSC
I know what subjects are for what major but what i want to know is if a sub major simply just doing half the subjects of a major.My friend said business and commerce dont get sub majors or something so im not sure if i will be acknowledged if i did a sub major(assuming that it really is just half the subjects of a major).
Maybe I can help you out mate. But don't take my word as being the shit, it's best to ask course advisors these sorta questions.

I was doing business and commerce in sem 1, before transferring. Basically under this course you can do a double major - it's not called a sub-major (both majors have equal weighting). If you compare the subjects for each major under bus and com and the subjects under each individual business course e.g. B Business (marketing) the subjects are almost the same, you do miss out on a couple of subjects, but not 'half the subjects' of the major. Also, in the B business (marketing) [as an example] you will have a lot of electives, so instead of these, under bus and com u get a double major and no electives at all. Look at the handbook and you will see what I mean.

Edit: I think the fact this course lets you have a double major and its flexibility is what makes it the most popular business course and the one with the highest uai requirement at uws.

Last edited:

jubs_

HSC
dude01 said:
Maybe I can help you out mate. But don't take my word as being the shit, it's best to ask course advisors these sorta questions.

I was doing business and commerce in sem 1, before transferring. Basically under this course you can do a double major - it's not called a sub-major (both majors have equal weighting). If you compare the subjects for each major under bus and com and the subjects under each individual business course e.g. B Business (marketing) the subjects are almost the same, you do miss out on a couple of subjects, but not 'half the subjects' of the major. Also, in the B business (marketing) [as an example] you will have a lot of electives, so instead of these, under bus and com u get a double major and no electives at all. Look at the handbook and you will see what I mean.

Edit: I think the fact this course lets you have a double major and its flexibility is what makes it the most popular business course and the one with the highest uai requirement at uws.
my friend is doing this. then he realised he wanted to major in accounting but the course doesn't qualify you to undertake the icaa certificate unless you ask to vary your enrolment which is a whole pain in itself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)