re-taking a subject through summer school... among other things (1 Viewer)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Hey, if i fail a unit this semester, and redo it through summer school, what does that do to my gpa for this year? I know there was another thread kind of like this, but i don't really get it. Does it mean that they'll take an average mark calculated from my failed mark and new mark, and recalculate my gpa? And, what if i took an advanced unit this semester and failed it, but want to do the regular unit instead during summer school. Am i allowed to do that? And what effect will that have on my gpa?

actually... now that i think of it, isn't the gpa just kind of an average of your total performance throughout the year for all your subjects all up, so it doesn't matter if you fail one or two, as long as you do awesomely in other subjects?

Sorry for all these questions :eek: . I tried looking it up on the usyd site but i couldn't really find all that much info.

Oh and, you don't get kicked out of uni if you fail, right? You just have to go through that program where they track your academic performance, yeah? wait, this is it, right: http://www.usyd.edu.au/secretariat/students/riskstudents.shtml

bah, I have more questions, but i've forgotten them. ^^"

edit: i found this: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=160791 . So, darn, that means i *will* have to re-take the unit if i fail.

And, a bit more info. I'm doing med science, so i guess that i have to pass *all* my subjects, since they're all prerequisites for second year, i guess?

edit: oh crap. I just found this on the homepage for medsci: "you cannot count any unit of study with the grade Pass (Concessional) toward the degree". i-am-screwed.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
No, you get 0 for the first time you take the subject, and whatever else you get for the retake is separate.

So, let's say you get:

This means your GPA is: (4+4+4+0)/4 [Pass = 4.0 GPA, then divide it by your number of subjects]. Your GPA for the semester is thus 3.0 (below a Pass GPA).

If you take the subject again and get 50 in it, your GPA becomes:
(4+4+4+0+4)/5 [Note the retake being counted as an additional subject]
=3.20

It is entirely possible to drag up your GPA to a higher range even if you fail a subject (after all, you have 24+ units to a degree)

If you fail one subject, I don't think you have to go through any program. From memory, if you fail three you have to 'show cause'.

You could try and get your prereqs waived for second-year units if you can justify why you failed the subject.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Med sci requires a credit average also :)

Concessional passes are not offered in science anymore.

If you do fail, try to get special permission. Just be nice to your lecturer, and hope you got a mark close to 50.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yeah, having a good, nice personality helps in getting higher marks (whether it's F to P, or D to HD).

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
ah, ic ic. This gpa thing is really depressing :eek: . And, if medscience requires a credit average, what happens if i get a pass average?

coz, i wrote all this, this morning before my bio exam, and i was kind of in an emo-mood (ie. apocaplyse). But, after doing my exam, i don't feel like i'm going to fail anymore, but maybe get a pass. So, i'd have to redo first year to get a credit average, if i get a pass-average this year? :confused:

and thanks for answering ^^

Lawl

HSC
I know someone who failed a unit (in B Molecular Biology) she got shifted to B Science =[

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Same thing with engineering honours. They'll only give you an honours award if you get a WAM of 65 or over in 2000 and above levels of study. My friend said the biomed engineering faculty won't even give you a biomed specialization if you don't get a credit average (you end up with a mechanical specialization instead or something).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)