Read about me...and recommend me a book! GO GO GO (1 Viewer)

HSC
Sorry for the incredibly stupid title. Anyway, here i go for dear life ( ok, maybe I'm sounding like an extremist now)..i'll shut-up now. ok.

-Teenager (15-18) years.
- I hate cliche books, you know.. popular girls, boy meets girl kinda stories.
-I love fashion
-I love classical stories, but to the extent in which i can actually understand the language (i'm only doing standard English guys).
-I love real life stories, books that make you cry and actually think.
-Movies i like: Contagion, movies about war, movies where i cry, movies that make you think.
-I hate old fashioned movies, i know this quite contradictory to my previous statement, but i hate really war..y (not a word) movies.
-I love well writen books, that have well written scrips (just watch gossip girl and you know what i mean, the writing in that show is amazing).

HSC
some books i like: the running man (someone dies, so there is no compromise for the level of sadness in this novel), chinese cindrella (although cause it's been read so many times, it's lost it's connection with me)

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
I think you may enjoy "The Shack" by William Paul Young,
I'm reading it now, it is a very interesting story in regards to how the author tells it

HSC
i will check into it amaranth95, just wondering does the book express any anti-christian (religious) aspects. I would not want to be reading a book which run against my current christian faith.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
i will check into it amaranth95, just wondering does the book express any anti-christian (religious) aspects. I would not want to be reading a book which run against my current christian faith.
No it does not, The book is actually quite religious. Youll know what I mean once you read it:p

Check it on wiki, it will explain it better than I will, lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shack

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sorry for the incredibly stupid title. Anyway, here i go for dear life ( ok, maybe I'm sounding like an extremist now)..i'll shut-up now. ok.

-Teenager (15-18) years.
-I love fashion
-I love classical stories, but to the extent in which i can actually understand the language (i'm only doing standard English guys).
-Movies i like: Contagion, movies about war, movies where i cry, movies that make you think.
-I hate old fashioned movies, i know this quite contradictory to my previous statement, but i hate really war..y (not a word) movies.
-I love well writen books, that have well written scrips (just watch gossip girl and you know what i mean, the writing in that show is amazing).
Check out the Twilight Series.

1. It's most certainly not a cliche book. No girls meet any guys, and there is absolutely no cliche romance.
2. Plenty of fashion and sparkly vampires everywhere.
3. Obviously real life.
4. This series will make you cry for sure. It is also very thought provoking.
5. Extremely well written and world-wide renowned for how well it was written.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you're looking for a challenging book that'll make you think: "Mrs. Dalloway", Virginia Woolf.

It's an Extension 1 English text - but it will redefine the way you think of 'storytelling', I think.

That, or "If on a winter's night a traveler" by Italo Calvino. That will really challenge you in how a story is written. Truly.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas made me teary when I read it.
It's a pretty basic read, but still enjoyable enough.

zombies

HSC
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas made me teary when I read it.
It's a pretty basic read, but still enjoyable enough.
+1

Philip Pullman's "The Dark Materials" series
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Elsewhere - Gabrielle Zevin
The Catcher in the Rye - Salinger

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
I realised you said you didn't like war-y books. But do you like espionage books? Or fantasy?

Lentern

HSC
If you're looking for a challenging book that'll make you think: "Mrs. Dalloway", Virginia Woolf.

It's an Extension 1 English text - but it will redefine the way you think of 'storytelling', I think.

That, or "If on a winter's night a traveler" by Italo Calvino. That will really challenge you in how a story is written. Truly.
No, shutup.

Examine

same
HSC
The Book Their - Markus Zusak. I love it so much I read it 3 times over. Plus you can use it for HSC because it's belonging.

Lentern

HSC

-Teenager (15-18) years.
-I love fashion
Possibly Campaign Ruby by Jessica Rudd, contrary to some of the reviews its not really about politics its about her relationship with her sister, aunt, boss and former boyfriend. Lots of pop cultural references to clothing fashion and makeup etc.

Kittikhun

HSC
'Flowers for Algernon' by Daniel Keyes. It doesn't really matter whether you read the short version or the long version, unless if you are a bit of a prude. If so, I recommend you read the shorter version.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=249531&p=5678839#post5678839

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Blurb:
"When he hears her favourite Beatles song, Toru Watanabe recalls his first love, Naoko, the girlfriend of his best friend Kizuki. Immediately he is transported back almost twenty years to his student days in Tokyo, adrift a world of uneasy friendships, casual sex, passion, loss and desire - to a time when an impetuous young women called Midori marches into his life and he has to choose between the future and the past. "

Praise:
"Murakami must already rank among the world's greatest living novelist" - Guardian

Review:
Truly sensual, sexual and sentimental. Especially the relevance to us now, as teenagers, about the consequences of our actions and the ultimate nature of romantic love. A incredibly resonating tale brimming "with symbolic possibility".

http://www.amazon.com/Norwegian-Wood.../dp/0375704027

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)