READ THIS IF YOU GRADUATED WITH A 90+ ATAR (1 Viewer)

zahri992

HSC
can i still make a comeback rank wise? because i wasn't in the best headspace last term and had a lot going on like in my family life and kind of stuffed my exams. I did well in 2 of my subjects (95 and 100), but i really stuffed both English adv (75) and extension 1 (78). i think i may have gotten the lowest mark in extension and advanced is probably down there too.

i also just dropped from advanced maths to standard maths this term, because after the first exam i got 30%.... my teacher explained to me that because i've dropped, my task 1 mark will be an estimation based on my other 3 results and also taking into account how well other people did in the first task in comparison to their other marks.

the subject i got 95 in i wasn't first, i was ranked 3/16, and the subject i got 100 in another girl also got 100 out of a class of 18 people. i also got 91 in Italian continuers and a 94 in pdhpe hsc which i did accelerated last year.

I'm a bit concerned I've stuffed it up because i want a b6 in one of the englishes and hopefully the other 2 subjects.

how much did you study to achieve a 90?

carrotsss

HSC
yeah it’s definitely still possible just give the rest of your assessments your all to get back your rankings

ill also add that I got a similar mark in my first English exam and I still managed to b6, you do really need to focus on topping the rest of the assessments but it’s more than possible, and your accelerated marks reflect that you’re capable of it

liamkk112

HSC
can i still make a comeback rank wise? because i wasn't in the best headspace last term and had a lot going on like in my family life and kind of stuffed my exams. I did well in 2 of my subjects (95 and 100), but i really stuffed both English adv (75) and extension 1 (78). i think i may have gotten the lowest mark in extension and advanced is probably down there too.

i also just dropped from advanced maths to standard maths this term, because after the first exam i got 30%.... my teacher explained to me that because i've dropped, my task 1 mark will be an estimation based on my other 3 results and also taking into account how well other people did in the first task in comparison to their other marks.

the subject i got 95 in i wasn't first, i was ranked 3/16, and the subject i got 100 in another girl also got 100 out of a class of 18 people. i also got 91 in Italian continuers and a 94 in pdhpe hsc which i did accelerated last year.

I'm a bit concerned I've stuffed it up because i want a b6 in one of the englishes and hopefully the other 2 subjects.

its very possible, certainly not over yet. for english, you've already recognised that it's your weakest subject, so all that you can do now is focus up and increase ur mark as much as possible to climb the ranks (also, 75+ isn't a bad start, not like u failed so it's completly possible to get into the top ranks). and for math, just make sure u put more effort in than u did in advanced last term, and u should be well off.

for the subjects where u got 95 and 100, yes u are not the highest rank but if other people are getting 95+, being at a slightly lower rank isn't an issue as clearly ur cohort is very strong, so ranking where u are is already quite good.

overall i'd say u are already on the path to getting a 90+, since u have already recognised that u need to study harder and are willing to put in more effort in the future terms. don't worry about the first assessment, there's still probably 70% of ur mark in the rest of ur internals, depending on their weighting, so you're not stuck at the bottom if you can up your marks in the future.

in terms of how much i studied, i studied about 3 hours a day in regular school days, maybe a bit more on weekends. then in the periods before trials and hsc, sometimes 8-9 hours a day, but i always reduced the amount if i was not in the mood to not get burnt out. however it really depends on each person, some people i know got 90+ and only studied a hour or so a day. it's more about knowing ur limits and strengths, for me i am not exactly the smartest person and i picked traditionally "challenging" subjects like ext2 math and physics, so i knew i really had to put in the hours to succeed. hsc is also about consistency, all of your 10 strongest units count so even though english wasn't my favourite subject, i really pushed myself and ended up getting 1st in the grade, even if i hated writing essays (although i did like reading the texts and some creative tasks we got). so don't neglect any subjects, at least 10 units worth that is.

HSC

did maths extension 2 homework and paid attention in class. revise for exams. thats it. if you have a decent teacher, they should cover everthing in the syllabus in class.

Rattlehead15

HSC
As for extension english, my whole class didn't do too great throughout the year, myself included. From memory nobody broke 75% in the trials. Personally, it was my worst subject. I was more than surprised to find out when the HSC results came out, it was my best subject after the HSC exam. I got an E4 and most of the class got one too. How hard you work leading up to the HSC is what really makes or breaks your final mark. It is worth 50% after all. So basically try not to stress and don't burn yourself out throughout the year. Even if you do poorly throughout the year the final HSC exam is your chance to redeem your mark. 40% of students get an E4 in Ext1 if that helps to know. I was in your exact position and got an E4, its more than possible.

Also about design and tech (assuming your signature is true), please dont try too hard in that subject. I made this mistake and it severely affected my other subjects. I put twice as much effort in as just about anyone else in my class and I still got about the same mark as them. It has to be one of the most biased subjects in terms of schools. Unless you go to a good school that gets high DT marks, you're unlikely to do very well. People say it doesn't matter which school you go to for the HSC, but I feel like it definitely does for Design and Tech in particular. Lack of resources, quality of teaching, limited technology and materials at school all severely impact the quality of your major work and skews the marks heavily towards private schools or schools with a better tech faculty.

Either way, youre not even done with the HSC and you have more band sixes than I got and I got a 90+ atar. All that really matters is if you get a good enough atar for your uni degree or not. Im starting uni right now and everyone already has moved on from anything atar related.

zahri992

HSC
As for extension english, my whole class didn't do too great throughout the year, myself included. From memory nobody broke 75% in the trials. Personally, it was my worst subject. I was more than surprised to find out when the HSC results came out, it was my best subject after the HSC exam. I got an E4 and most of the class got one too. How hard you work leading up to the HSC is what really makes or breaks your final mark. It is worth 50% after all. So basically try not to stress and don't burn yourself out throughout the year. Even if you do poorly throughout the year the final HSC exam is your chance to redeem your mark. 40% of students get an E4 in Ext1 if that helps to know. I was in your exact position and got an E4, its more than possible.

Also about design and tech (assuming your signature is true), please dont try too hard in that subject. I made this mistake and it severely affected my other subjects. I put twice as much effort in as just about anyone else in my class and I still got about the same mark as them. It has to be one of the most biased subjects in terms of schools. Unless you go to a good school that gets high DT marks, you're unlikely to do very well. People say it doesn't matter which school you go to for the HSC, but I feel like it definitely does for Design and Tech in particular. Lack of resources, quality of teaching, limited technology and materials at school all severely impact the quality of your major work and skews the marks heavily towards private schools or schools with a better tech faculty.

Either way, youre not even done with the HSC and you have more band sixes than I got and I got a 90+ atar. All that really matters is if you get a good enough atar for your uni degree or not. Im starting uni right now and everyone already has moved on from anything atar related.
thank u this is encouraging lol
I'm very lucky for dt we have access to most resources, but I have a really good teacher who pays very good attention to detail. last year her hsc class had 16 students and everyone got an 85 or higher she was very happy lol.
it's just stressful rn bc everyone is trying so hard and doing all their work even people who I wouldn't expect it from and it's making me feel like I'm not doing enough bc I'm not like killing myself studying like ik some others are

Rattlehead15

HSC
thank u this is encouraging lol
I'm very lucky for dt we have access to most resources, but I have a really good teacher who pays very good attention to detail. last year her hsc class had 16 students and everyone got an 85 or higher she was very happy lol.
it's just stressful rn bc everyone is trying so hard and doing all their work even people who I wouldn't expect it from and it's making me feel like I'm not doing enough bc I'm not like killing myself studying like ik some others are
Ah thats good then, disregard everything I said about DT then. My class was the opposite, nobody got above 85

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)