• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Reading for uni (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Can anyone speed read? If so would you like to share your secret?

doe

HSC
N/A
dont echo what you read in your mind, just read

santaslayer

HSC
Depends on what you're reading though...

If the text has pics and colourful graphs then its always easier...

like business textbooks...which usually have important content on the side/margins...

eg, "bizwords"....or something like that..

other than that...being able to digest the information is more important...

speed reading...apparently u read the middle bunch of words in easch sentence and cut off the two end bits...u do this pretty quickly and apparently ur brain selects the keywords in each sentence and after about a paragraph...all the keywords combined illustrate what the text is trying to convey...and all tjhis happens in ur brain...sounds tricky though...

Riewe

HSC
I guess that if you only want points from the text, then spped reading is great, as you can cut out much. But try speed reading a totally new text, as i did, and had absolutely no idea what it was talking about. So if you already know the text, speed reading is much easier than speed reading new texts

S

Shuter

Riewe said:
I guess that if you only want points from the text, then spped reading is great, as you can cut out much. But try speed reading a totally new text, as i did, and had absolutely no idea what it was talking about. So if you already know the text, speed reading is much easier than speed reading new texts
Yeah if I'm skimming over something I already know the main concepts I can absolutely fly through it, like a page in about 10 seconds. However if it's something completely new and I want to absorb it, then I read it traditionally, and it will take you know maybe 2 minutes a page. I find I much prefer this way though. At the end of it I can always remember all the concepts and whatever has been talked about in the text, but rarely could remember a particular sentance word for word.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I don't read uni readings, it's too boring. I listen in the lecture, read the lecture notes and look at the main points in the textbook.

There is no way I am going to read 2 chapters of a texbook before a lecture, most of it is fucking useless shit anyway.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i find it useful to read relevant chapters before a lecture and from what i hear, it gets even more important later on cos the first lectures are always simple and straightforward whilst the later ones are not.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Sarah168 said:
i find it useful to read relevant chapters before a lecture and from what i hear, it gets even more important later on cos the first lectures are always simple and straightforward whilst the later ones are not.
Well my textbooks so far have about 5% useful info and 95% space filling.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i know. it depends on the person. I was just saying from my perspective and for my subjects...although one of my subject has an 8kg textbook full of...God knows what...I aint reading that one...

rumour

HSC
I haven't opened my textbooks yet, when ever I do, they make me sleepy!!!!!

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
I have a short attention span and not the best eye sight...so reading isn't that simple for me! But yeh...I just force myself to read and highlight all the important stuff, which i'm able to reread later on....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)