reading recommendations (2 Viewers)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I wanna improve my writing and vocab and all that so anyone got any reading recommendations other than shakespeare?

(serious) PLEASE im desperate to improve my terrible writing
a few that come to mind:
  • any book by kazuo ishiguro (never let me go is a good start for newcomers to his work, remains of the day or artist of the floating world if you're interested in how he shapes character through (unreliable) first-person narration)
  • the secret history by donna tartt because of the solid start to its story and its exceptionally gorgeous prose, and also if you want to see how characters interact with each other and how to write such natural dynamics
  • the great gatsby by f scott fitzgerald, seconding the person who already recommended it but it's one of my favourite easy reads that's beautifully written, even if you don't care for the themes or the message, the kind of work that has every single word bringing you closer to the climax of the novel
  • a gentleman in moscow by amor towles, historical fiction set during the russian revolution which might not be your cup of tea but i'd say it's worth giving a try even if it isn't. the writing is so charming especially when it comes to its introspection, and really good when you want to see how writing can shape character (in this case, the count)
  • the death of ivan ilyich by leo tolstoy, i chose this for my multimodal back in year 12 and honestly i don't read that much tolstoy cos every time i try nothing seems to beat it because it hit me really hard when i finished reading it. while i read it in translated english, it's very, very good for show not tell when it discusses its overarching ideas (in this case, about morality and what it means to be satisfied with your life

hellowellohehe

HSC
IKR HER BOOKS R SOOOO HARD 😭😭😭 apparently a lot say shes overrated a lot too?
i wouldnt say overrated. theyre kind of interesting and ive read the big six but sylvia plaths the bell jar was much better than all six combined. however jane austens books are more of an analytical read while theres also a bit of enjoyment, so id recommend trying it out anyways. plus you learn a lot of older concepts and phrases and its fun to say to people who know what you mean or reference it in an exam lmao.

amatterra

HSC
a few that come to mind:
  • any book by kazuo ishiguro (never let me go is a good start for newcomers to his work, remains of the day or artist of the floating world if you're interested in how he shapes character through (unreliable) first-person narration)
  • the secret history by donna tartt because of the solid start to its story and its exceptionally gorgeous prose, and also if you want to see how characters interact with each other and how to write such natural dynamics
  • the great gatsby by f scott fitzgerald, seconding the person who already recommended it but it's one of my favourite easy reads that's beautifully written, even if you don't care for the themes or the message, the kind of work that has every single word bringing you closer to the climax of the novel
  • a gentleman in moscow by amor towles, historical fiction set during the russian revolution which might not be your cup of tea but i'd say it's worth giving a try even if it isn't. the writing is so charming especially when it comes to its introspection, and really good when you want to see how writing can shape character (in this case, the count)
  • the death of ivan ilyich by leo tolstoy, i chose this for my multimodal back in year 12 and honestly i don't read that much tolstoy cos every time i try nothing seems to beat it because it hit me really hard when i finished reading it. while i read it in translated english, it's very, very good for show not tell when it discusses its overarching ideas (in this case, about morality and what it means to be satisfied with your life
Actually, A Gentleman in Moscow sounds very interesting! Thank you 🤗

amatterra

HSC
YA'LL I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO REPLYY I APPRECIATE IT, I got enough books on my reading list for the rest of the year 😍 but keep posting any recommendations tho if anyone wants to!! Might keep it for next year, or someone else might find this useful idk

THANK YOUU :kiss:

hellowellohehe

HSC
oh.. uh okay, may i ask why you find it interesting?
i consider him as one of the most menacing people mentioned in history, so personally i wanted to know why he was like that, and what his life had come to to behave in such a way. i like perspectives so whatever i have read in meinkampf i guess give me an insight to what he actually was, or say, what he was posing to be. reminder, not accepting of him in anyway. but the phrases and concepts that are mentioned in the book, i myself have somewhat seen in real life. when i see something shitty someone does, i am sometimes reminded of something that i had found from reading meinkampf, and then it comes to me what kind of person they are. it gave me an insight into many people, knowing i guess where they're headed in their life or how they have been nurtured. i guess it also shows you just what an evil person like him thinks. those who dont know history are doomed to repeat it.

synthesisFR

HSC
this is real, i know people say holden is whiny and immature but that is the point of the book 😔 i read it in year 10 and it was really interesting trying to unpack his character and his worldview
exactly people complain about the unreliable narration like brotha that is like the foundation for deconstructing his character that's why it is in first person

amatterra

HSC
i consider him as one of the most menacing people mentioned in history, so personally i wanted to know why he was like that, and what his life had come to to behave in such a way. i like perspectives so whatever i have read in meinkampf i guess give me an insight to what he actually was, or say, what he was posing to be. reminder, not accepting of him in anyway. but the phrases and concepts that are mentioned in the book, i myself have somewhat seen in real life. when i see something shitty someone does, i am sometimes reminded of something that i had found from reading meinkampf, and then it comes to me what kind of person they are. it gave me an insight into many people, knowing i guess where they're headed in their life or how they have been nurtured. i guess it also shows you just what an evil person like him thinks. those who dont know history are doomed to repeat it.
oooh wow I love your points here (btw I wasn't asking if you find it interesting to judge you 💀 sorry if it sounded like that, I just wanted to know your opinions and WHY if ykwim) thank you! I'll see if my local library and school library has it tho 😬 (highly doubt it)

amatterra

HSC
oooh wow I love your points here (btw I wasn't asking if you find it interesting to judge you 💀 sorry if it sounded like that, I just wanted to know your opinions and WHY if ykwim) thank you! I'll see if my local library and school library has it tho 😬 (highly doubt it)
Actually, my local library does have it! hahaha

hellowellohehe

HSC
ahah girl dw tone is hard over text !!

you'll learn a lot from meinkampf you never thought you would

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)