Reading (1 Viewer)

Qeru

HSC
Tyty is there a website with solid short stories tho? I read heaps of books but when it's actually an inclass creative I can only develop ideas that are good for large novels nothing that can he written in like a 1000 words
I would try finding pdf's (literally type the short story you want they pdf after), or look for websites with that short story. For your second point thats why short stories are so good since they get straight into the action, for example in the machine stops, from the first page you can pick out 5-6 techniques and observe the descriptive language (although I admit there is alot of dialogue).

idkkdi

HSC
Tyty is there a website with solid short stories tho? I read heaps of books but when it's actually an inclass creative I can only develop ideas that are good for large novels nothing that can he written in like a 1000 words
exactly why I think reading isn't the most necessary lol. large novel ideas from books are kinda counterproductive tbh.

so what did I miss out on? everytime @dumNerd comes on we get some solid action :).

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
I've finally caved. I need to start reading if I want to stand a chance in doing well in english. What suggestions do you guys have for books that aren't super long and have some action (no romantic like stuff)?
You don’t need to necessarily read to improve in English lol, using more sophisticated words doesn’t always ensure better marks. It’s how you write as well (and unfortunately how subjective your teachers are), you’re better off looking at how you can improve your writing style before you start delving into ‘fancy’ words

Qeru

HSC
You don’t need to necessarily read to improve in English lol, using more sophisticated words doesn’t always ensure better marks. It’s how you write as well (and unfortunately how subjective your teachers are), you’re better off looking at how you can improve your writing style before you start delving into ‘fancy’ words
Your assuming they are reading solely to look out for 'fancy words,' which Im guessing isn't their main goal. There are a bunch of other benefits to reading; good sentence structure, evocative language, good use of techniques which imo is best learnt through reading rather than solely developing your writing style.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Your assuming they are reading solely to look out for 'fancy words,' which Im guessing isn't their main goal. There are a bunch of other benefits to reading; good sentence structure, evocative language, good use of techniques which imo is best learnt through reading rather than solely developing your writing style.
I mean I don’t really read at all besides school so my opinion is completely different for that LOL I see where ur coming from though, actually tbh I’ve read quite a bit especially Sadler’s Cambridge Math Extension 2 I’d recommend it’s a very complicated book with complex ideas which evoke emotions of stress and drain your brain power!

idkkdi

HSC
I mean I don’t really read at all besides school so my opinion is completely different for that LOL I see where ur coming from though, actually tbh I’ve read quite a bit especially Sadler’s Cambridge Math Extension 2 I’d recommend it’s a very complicated book with complex ideas which evoke emotions of stress and drain your brain power!
its not complicated, nor complex.

It is very well written.

idkkdi

HSC
ItS sUbJeCtIvE
read some terse maths books, and you will understand what I mean.

Cambridge is about as un-terse as anyone is going to get for writing a maths text.
It is extremely readable.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
read some terse maths books, and you will understand what I mean.

Cambridge is about as un-terse as anyone is going to get for writing a maths text.
It is extremely readable.
Fr tho I’ve found parts of it not overly easy to understand since in some examples they skip like 2 or 3 steps which may not seem obvious at first

idkkdi

HSC
Fr tho I’ve found parts of it not overly easy to understand since in some examples they skip like 2 or 3 steps which may not seem obvious at first
lots of maths books use:

"the proof is left as an exercise to the reader".

or,

"the rest is trivial".

idkkdi

HSC
where?
i remember euler formula proof not being the easiest read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)