ReadyBoost yay or neigh? (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
I've been reading about it heaps. Apparently it can speed up for vista laptop significantly if you are running on low ram. What about high ram (4 gig high)?
SO overall readyboost? yay or neigh? FRom what i understand 1gb usb does not equal 1gb ram.
Opinions....

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
readyboost is too troublesome to use... i can never be stuffed to shove a usb stick into my laptop when the ram is been eaten up :\ but i think i might use it when i get some solid state storage for the express card slot...

edit: ...and if u have 4 gigs its way enough for most stuff anyway

Last edited:

dey-tuk-re-jobz

cute mc-Cat-ney
HSC
Tests of ReadyBoost show that it's only useful for computers with low memory (512mb-1GB). Otherwise, it's useless.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
I've been reading about it heaps. Apparently it can speed up for vista laptop significantly if you are running on low ram. What about high ram (4 gig high)?
SO overall readyboost? yay or neigh? FRom what i understand 1gb usb does not equal 1gb ram.
Opinions....

im fairly sure that windows vista 32 bit versions (home basic, ultimate, business?) can only effectively use 3.5 gig of ram anyway, so if u have 4, your already wasting some of it, let alone need any more

sunny

meh.
HSC
modern RAM bandwidth = several gigabytes per second
USB2 bandwidth = 480 megabits per second

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Why would you need any more memory when you already have 4gb of it?

Last edited:

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
ReadyBoost is really only for those systems with like 512mb of RAM that need more. If you have 1GB or over onboard, you shouldn't really notice that much of a difference.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
If you want to boost your memory and you have over 1GB (well of course from the obvious option - to buy more ram) try overclocking it. It's a bit risky though - cause if the voltage is too high - you might stuff up your ram.

Evilo

HSC
oh nah i wasnt thinking about overclocking. 4GB should be enough :p But yeah i just wanted to hear some personal experiences.
Sounds good with low ram, make no difference with >2GB (as per the interweb notes)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
personal experience:
installing more RAM was cheaper.. lik $60 for DDR2 2gb.. and works faster.

if u need it rarely then its worth it to readyboost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)