Real estate in the United States (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
I can find affordable housing in Australia too.

In Wollongong.

You don't know the type of neighbourhoods these houses are in, nor do you know the status of the city they're in.

Flint, Michigan: As of the census of 2000, there were 124,943 people

It's not a major city.

xoa

HSC
Tulipa said:
I can find affordable housing in Australia too.

In Wollongong.

You don't know the type of neighbourhoods these houses are in, nor do you know the status of the city they're in.

Flint, Michigan: As of the census of 2000, there were 124,943 people

It's not a major city.
There are also ridiculously cheap houses in Detroit - a city as large as Brisbane.

I've looked online for houses in rural Queensland (where I will be working once I graduate). I'm talking small rural towns like Cloncurry, Roma, Longreach. These aren't boom towns - they are economically depressed and losing residents. But anything less than $200k looks like a demountable kit house or a dilapidated shack. Well maintained houses begin at $300k+. Taxes or stamp duty must be at work, because I don't understand the economics behind this.

They may be "affordable" (meaning, I could probably secure a home loan), but it definitely isn't good value.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
I wouldn't want to live in Detroit either *shudder*

If you look in areas like Seattle or anywhere else on the West Coast you'll find a similar housing situation to Sydney and the rest of Australia.

I'm not sure about the economics behind it though.

Apocalypsse

HSC
xoa said:
I looked online, and found plenty of very affordable homes in American cities. In Brisbane, it's difficult to find even vacant blocks for less than $150,000 but I've found decent looking homes in the USA for $10,000.

For example: http://www.flinthomes.net/cgi-bin/h...=108;&_template=fullview&_startat=74&_limit=1

Why are these homes so cheap? What's stopping me from buying and renting it?
I wonder how many people were murdered in that house for it to be that cheap.

bahhh

HSC
Ekim said:
Housing in the US works slightely differently, where here in aus it largely works from the cbd out, the United States has grown differently. In the United States the notion of a singular cbd is rapidly dissapearing, when the freeways were built, in alot of places the main freeway looped around the cbd with intersecting freeways to take traffic into the city (sort of like a spiderweb pattern) so what happened is the junctions of these freeways/highways started becoming their own mini cities, with a business district with residental areas around it. These edge cities offer everything that youd expect in the cbd and have excellent transportation because they are built on the junctions of highways..

Thats why is often really cheap to buy in the cbd itself, because progressively the reasons youd want to live in the city are becoming redundant as they move more and more towards edge cities...

That would explain why inner-city areas in Australia are so incredibly expensive still. But I mean cities in Australia have the same sort of rough idea, I mean, I live in Sydney so I have to use it for my example, but in Hornsby and Chatswood (north shore too) there are shopping districts that offer [Most] of what can be bought in the inner-city areas, and both have business districts too.. Though the reason your ideology is then not shown here is because of the average Australian's willingness to sacrifice space for the city-life of nightclubs, restraunts etc. Maybe cultural values play a role as well.

Also, I think I have figured out why the house is selling so cheap...
[img=http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/24693/2001114945921650181_rs.jpg]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)