• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

reality Enigma (1 Viewer)

Riot09

HSC
so pretty much i'v been going through past papers and getting help online for the upcoming maths sc test.the other tests im not worried about because its just reading and writing and i would proberly get band 5 or 4 without a sweat.

my question is that how do year 10 and other students or smart people in general know how to answer the questions in the school certificate.like i look at some of these questions and it blows my mind yet my teacher,my peers and the bored of studies online community either can do it because they know how to?.to get to the point is that is there a routine i can follow or a secret out that i dont know about?

1.out of these what do reckon is the most effective for the maths sc test

a.practice (applying prior knowledge to questions) or theory (reading about math-concepts)

2.so if the latter is a prerequisite to the former how do year 10 students even though most of the school certificate test is focused on topic covered in year 7,8 and 9 how do they actually do the maths sc at the end of year 10 and archieve band 5 and 6's?(i know its a mouthfull and theres no write or wrong anwer but just write down any of youre theories or stories from experience or just advice frankly anything would be very helpful right now for me.

thanx for reading this

Amogh

HSC
N/A
you cant practice without any knowledge of the concepts AND on the contrary, you cant make efficient use of the concepts you've learnt, without practice.
Its a balance you should be looking for.
From experience, persistent learning is most effective. It is a bit too late to contemplate about Year 10 strategies, though as a quick fix, you shoud at first grasp the concepts and then relentlessly practice till the SC.

Imo, you should hire a tutor for year 11.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Amogh is correct, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. We need to capitalise on our strengths but conversely we need perseverance in areas that we lack in. If you keep trying, you'll soon comprehend the concept. School Certificate Mathematics requires a competent knowledge of the syllabus from year 7 - 10 but also requires logical thinking to establish the method to solving it. Thats life, there are some people that grasp concepts quicker than others. Your predicament can be resolved with tuition or better still reading over the syllabus and attempting a few questions.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
for maths, you should practice exam style questions. Know the theory well too but re-reading notes won't help u. Make sure you understand how to interpret the question so that you know how to answer it.

Maths is one of the easier subjects to study for. Just keep doing questions. Only ask for help if you really need it. It's much better for you to spend hours on a question and then realising how to do it than to ask others.
Also, the Maths School Certificate isn't hard. You're going to be fine. Don't stress.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically, rote learning is not the best method for maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)