Really bad results in first year 12 exam block (1 Viewer)

Lilabear

HSC
Hi everyone,

I received my most of my first year 12 exams back last week and i'm feeling pretty discouraged. I only know my general maths rank.

School rank 2016:17
School rank 2017: 24

English Adv:
AOS paper 1: 66% Weighting: 10%
Creative: 66% Weighting: 5%

General Maths: 65%
Weighting: 10%

Modern history:66%
Weighting: 20% (really worried that this one will drag down my atar/rank)

History Extension: Yet to be assessed on

Legal studies: Yet to receive (but low hopes)
Weighting: 20%

I was original hoping for 90+ ATAR, but i feel quite defeated, especially with modern. I ranked 6/49 last year, so my mark has fallen drastically.
I know that these are only the first assessments, but truthfully, is a 90+ ATAR out of my reach? Should i be more realistic and lower my ATAR goal?

Thanks

Also, sorry if the layout is confusing!

Last edited:

aoc

HSC
90+ atar is still possible. These assignments were worth 20% at most meaning you still have another 80% weighting to pull your marks up, not to mention by smashing the HSC as well which is another 50% of your total mark you have many more chances to lift marks up. Just focus on finding the mistakes you made and pull your marks up in your next tests.

captainneuro

HSC
improve on your assessments/exams and don't be surprised if you get 90+ at the end of the year. Its only your first set of assessments. You can easily surpass this.

HSC
Don't worry at all! The weighting only accounts for internals which is worth 50% of your hsc. Therefore, in general maths the 10% weighting is equivalent to 5% of your entire hsc. You have three more rounds of assessments as well as external exams. As long as you can identify what you did wrong and improve yourself, you can even achieve 95+

Frostguard

HSC
Hey Lila!! Cheer up, these are our first lot of assessments and most definitely are not indicators of future performance!! You got 66% in Modern History and ranked 6/49 for Prelim Modern History?? Then that just means this is deiniftely not you, something went wrong whether it be lack of study or exam panic, you'll definitely improve much better in your next Modern assessment. As for genny maths, 66% equals 15/16, which means your cohort is strong in this subject, so if you're able to perform much better in the next assessment, your rank will most definitely go up and see those 60s turn into 80s likewise with English and all your other subjects!! Your school rank is extremely good too, fluctuating in the top 30s, a 90 ATAR should not be realistically difficult for you our your cohort because I'm sure everyone will be there to help each out so the school collectively gets a better success rate. Remember these marks are just 50% of your internals, you've still got a whole another 50% from your HSC exams, smash the remaining assessments and 90 ATAR will be achievable!! Good Luck with your HSC (all your subjects I do as well so it makes me really motivated/excited/determined to try and help the other students in the state, also genny maths is Bae even though I got 67% in my first test and still ranked 9/58 LMAO, now that would be something to worry about because it means I've got a weak cohort, unlike yours, make sure to do well the remainder and bam 90 ATAR is yours!!

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Hey there,

Please don't worry about it too much. I know that sounds like a cliched piece of advice but to be honest I was in a kinda similar position to you as well in my first term of Year 12.

In my first English assessment, I ranked last. I have never been ranked last (let alone bottom half) in any assignment/exam since Year 7 so of course I was extremely depressed when I got my first HSC school assessment mark back. It was worth 15%, same as your English assessment and I knew English had to count towards my ATAR. However, this was some kind of 'motivator' I guess for me to do better for future assignments which were worth more. Over time, I just worked as hard as I could in English, joined a tuition centre and occasionally did some practice essays. Eventually, I unexpectedly managed to achieve the 2nd highest mark in my class for trials, bumping me up to rank 4. Beyond my belief, I ended up getting an examination mark of 94/100 in the HSC exam for English (my overall mark was 91 though due to my bad start at school).

What I'm trying to say here is that it's only the first term of Year 12, the time where school assessments generally have low weightings. This gives you a big opportunity to work over the holidays and really improve upon your weaknesses. Also, remember that school assessments only contribute to half of your HSC mark, meaning that a massive 50% is reliant on how you perform on the final HSC exam. If you improve a lot before the actual HSC exam, you're sure to do very well in the end!

Oh, and your school rank seems really good, which is an added bonus. The strength of your cohort contributes to your final marks to some extent which means your ATAR goal seems very possible and extremely likely.

Good luck!

Last edited:

tazhossain99

HSC
I completely flunked first assessments as well. With a change in mindset, increase in motivation and added factor of hard work, I was able to go full on throughout the year and ended up jumping heaps of ranks in all my subjects. I was able able to finish hsc with considerably good internal ranks.

If i can do it at PENRITH (Lol) then i'm sure you can do it at your school. Just work on your study routine and be focussed throughout the year. GL :)

Lilabear

HSC
Thanks for the encouraging messages everyone! I'm feeling a lot better and much more motivated :)

Another questions, since all my subjects are content heavy, how far in ahead should i be in regards to note taking? I read somewhere on BoS that it would be good if all my syllabus notes are completed during the holidays.

aoc

HSC
Depends on the person really. If you didnt do that well in this block it might be wise to take some time and go over 1st terms material again and try get ahead by a couple of weeks in terms of content during your holiday and maintain that pace when the second term starts again. Other people like myself included dont really like studying during the holidays so i didnt do much and studied harder during the term. On another note i dont think its smart to complete all your syllabus notes during the holidays. For one, you wont have much of a holiday doing that and you will probably rush it and not understand the information in depth (just try get a couple of weeks ahead or even a term ahead if possible).

undertale

HSC
N/A
I totally feel you there, but the key is to bounce back! I think a 90+ atar is still definitely possible! Find where you are going wrong, with content and study techniques. There is still hope, keep pushing!!

Lumenoria

HSC
Hey there,

Please don't worry about it too much. I know that sounds like a cliched piece of advice but to be honest I was in a kinda similar position to you as well in my first term of Year 12.

In my first English assessment, I ranked last. I have never been ranked last (let alone bottom half) in any assignment/exam since Year 7 so of course I was extremely depressed when I got my first HSC school assessment mark back. It was worth 15%, same as your English assessment and I knew English had to count towards my ATAR. However, this was some kind of 'motivator' I guess for me to do better for future assignments which were worth more. Over time, I just worked as hard as I could in English, joined a tuition centre and occasionally did some practice essays. Eventually, I unexpectedly managed to achieve the 2nd highest mark in my class for trials, bumping me up to rank 4. Beyond my belief, I ended up getting an examination mark of 94/100 in the HSC exam for English (my overall mark was 91 though due to my bad start at school).

What I'm trying to say here is that it's only the first term of Year 12, the time where school assessments generally have low weightings. This gives you a big opportunity to work over the holidays and really improve upon your weaknesses. Also, remember that school assessments only contribute to half of your HSC mark, meaning that a massive 50% is reliant on how you perform on the final HSC exam. If you improve a lot before the actual HSC exam, you're sure to do very well in the end!

Oh, and your school rank seems really good, which is an added bonus. The strength of your cohort contributes to your final marks to some extent which means your ATAR goal seems very possible and extremely likely.

Good luck!
This is so motivating for me, because I completely bombed for first English assessment. I've yet to receive my mark back, but I know it. I completely misread the last question for the short answers and analysed a text I wasn't supposed to, so the max I can receive on that is about 12/15 - assuming I get full in the test, which I won't. I was so annoyed because I could've done 100 past papers and still would've done the same thing. ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)