Really confused with King Lear - Please help (1 Viewer)

frenchy

My teacher and The Advice has told me 2 different things for what we need to know for the productions of King Lear, and so now im confused.

My teacher told me 2 pick 2 scenes (i've chosen A1 S1 and A3 S2)
then show how they been shown in the productions we've watched (Olivier and Brook)..
The Advice line told me to compare 2 productions together (not reffering to scenes)?

So for King Lear what exactly do we need to know about the productions? What are we expected to write (and where are we supposed to include perspectives such as Family or Feminist), because now i have no idea!?!

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I understand your confusion frenchy. When I called up that advice line they scared me sh!tless.

Ok, I suggest knowing a few scenes of your productions in depth. And trying to link them with themes or readings of the play. Themes include patriarchial society, chaos and order, madness and insight. Readings are like feminist, nihilistic, family. Themes and readings coincide with one another really.

If you have mainly studied productions and no readings then don't worry. Only have some sort of idea what a feminist reading is, a family reading is or a nihilistic reading is and incorporate it into ur productions. Like The Bondi production can be considered a feminist reading of the play King Lear because the woman are shown as equal or superior to the male. This is shown through a number of scenes...blah blah blah.

Do you understand now? Hope this helped you but studying Lear this way can make understanding it so much more easier.

frenchy

So i should know the same 2 or 3 scenes, from both productions, show how they compare/contrast with different perspectives, and since im doing the storm scene then i bring in the maddness theme and talk how each scene portrays it?

Thanks for that, it does clarify alot for me :)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
this seems to be the biggest concern with this topic (we had a huge debate about it at a study camp i was on last week)

by reading through the syllabus we came to the conclusion that you need to know particular readings/interpretations, and then examples of productions that fall into these readings

also - you need a knowledge of the play itself - therefore, bringing in particular scenes would support this

my teacher has marked this part of the hsc before and she says where people fall down is that they only talk about interpretations or only talk about the text... band 5/6 responses will talk about BOTH!!!

good luck

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
you do need to know scenes! a few years ago they said "refer to two scenes"

you need quotes from the play to back up the part of the play you are talking about

i am using two scenes (the same scenes for each production), and talking about how each interpretation conveyed these scenes.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
you do need to know scenes! a few years ago they said "refer to two scenes"

you need quotes from the play to back up the part of the play you are talking about

i am using two scenes (the same scenes for each production), and talking about how each interpretation conveyed these scenes.
yeah i've seen quite a few questions that say "referring to at least two scenes" so you do need to know them!

aplasticspoon

hey..also. knowing productions is heaps important. out trial was based practically solely on productions and how they have changed through time. it was a really sucky wuestion...so know your productions!

Moonfrog

Well my trial was just on interpretations and not productions....
But i think i am prepared. I know 3 scenes in depth, i know two different interpretatons of these scenes and two productions

But is nihilism an interpretation? I am refering to Brookes production....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)