really dodgy dot points.. (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
these dot points in "Ideas" are really dodgy...

• process information to discuss Einstein and Plancks differing views about whether science research is removed from social and political forces

and...

• analyse secondary information on the competition between Westinghouse and Edison to supply electricity to cities

meee lost :(

+ wrote 10 lines and got nothing for that question in the CSSA trial about the Einstein and Plank one... it's dodgy :(

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
you should have written more than 10 lines :p

just quote the stuff in jackarada book (or whatever text book you have) and you should be fine.

remember for big questions you need a summarising line at end to get full marks

Rahul

Dead Member
yes i agree with you mitochondria, they seem to take the impetus away from physics and place it more on history. i dont like it....

this is what i wrote on the cssa question:

Plank believed in the 'glory' of science. He beleived all efforts should be put into new discoveries. If this meant that scientific reearch would (be) involved in a war, which was the case,. then so be it. He was a nationalistic German. Einstein was also German,. who later moved to America. He believed that in the use of scientific knowledge for the good of humanity. Unfortunately, to stop the Germans, he helped US create the atomic bomb, which he classified as a catastrophe. This shows how firstly Planck was influenced by the politics of his country and also how Einstein acknowledged the wrong doings in certain cases of scientific research.

i got 5/5 for this. :)

NSBHSchoolie

A more efficient place would be the abundant sources of notes from other people at your school or on this website. Jacaranda's mediocrity is particulary uninsightful.

coroneos

Jacaranda is my prime source of information - not to mention my only source.

It is not mediocre. It is the best.

Contexts is boring to read and about half of it meanders off somewhere outside the boundaries of the 2002 Phys. syllabus.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
jacaranda doesn't do planck and einstein that well-you should look at the surfing books for that bit. it's better there.

with those 6-markers, often it's just the fact that you don't have key words or phrases - remember to know the meanigns of 'evalueate' and 'discuss'.. and to actually do that =P

okay so it's easier said than done..

Rahul

Dead Member
i think jacaranda is the best primary text book out there....

you need summaries and the excel book [and even possibly other texts] to make sure that you are on the right track with dot points.

allyteaded

This question was in the trial... hmm... baisically, all I mentioned was:

Einstein was against political power (i.e. the Nazis) intervening with scientific development and feared that they would use science as a method of achieving power.
However Plank opposed this and believed the government should have control over scientific and technological developments. Plank himself worked as a scientist under the government. Both Einstein and Plank were for the development of an atomic weapon for scientific purposes however did not want it to be used.

...and I got full marks.

But what I'm concerned about is the "society" part. Have I mentioned it in my answer or is there a bit more I could have added?

If you ask me... these two dot points seem a bit more on the side of history than Physics. Then again, a lot of the syllabus is like that.

There's a lotta stuff on the net about Westinghouse and Edison. Basically, Westinghouse proposed using AC voltage to distribute power to US homes whereas Edison proposed DC.

... I read somewhere that Edison or his partner (Insert Name here) did a stunt on stage by electocuting some small animal to show how dangerous AC voltage was and to prove that DC was better.

Westinghouse won because AC was more efficient and easier to step up and step down or some other reason... (can anyone help?) ... (eek!! I have to revise this dotpoint!)

sigh... ok, I'll shu'up nows. :p

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
thanks guys.. can i steal your answers to re-write my notes? ;) (I am a no-marker for that question.. *sigh* would have gotten 90 if i got that one right and this other dodgy question in there.. can't remember which one it was..)

Don't you think the Excel Book is extremely dodgy!?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
yes these dot points are dodgy for a reason

these dot points tend to come in under the pfa's outcomes
the presribed focus areas- these pfas are tested besides the knowledge outcomes

however, these pfas do not cover h13 and h14 which i recall rightly are the experimental/first-hand investigation outcomes like saftey etc.. these pfas cover like applications of physics on society, nature of science, history of physics etc... check in the syllabus

so thats where we get our dodgy 8 markers from

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by allyteaded

... I read somewhere that Edison or his partner (Insert Name here) did a stunt on stage by electocuting some small animal to show how dangerous AC voltage was and to prove that DC was better.

Westinghouse won because AC was more efficient and easier to step up and step down or some other reason... (can anyone help?) ... (eek!! I have to revise this dotpoint!)

sigh... ok, I'll shu'up nows. :p
yep edisons main argument was that AC was dangerous and held shows where he electricuted elephants and cows. he even proposed to use it as an execution device but the first attempt ended quite messy

Besides the obvious advtages in transmission and flexibility, Westinghouse also won acclaim when he hosted a "World Fair" at San Fransisco [or something similar], which was entirely run on AC. There were spectacular light shows and also hands on displays to prove the safety of AC.

edit: what i thought 4 planck and einstein was that einstein at first like planck believed science for science sake, but as hitler rose 2 power believed that scientists should have a moral code and must consider his work in the context of the greater community including the political sides of it. Planck although a nationalist still believed that politics and science are isloated from eachother. Like Fermi, he believed he was doing good science, and how governments use them is not his responsibility

Last edited:

Dangar

Don't you think the Excel Book is extremely dodgy!? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, I think it is- I've been making my notes and it only answers some dot points. I get to ones that I think this is going to be hard and the excel just ignores them, it's really annoying. And my other gripe with it is that the definitions could be better- but i still use it cos i like the way it does most of the dotpoints in the second column anyway even tho we're meant to do them ourselves.

herdigerdi

hey guys this is great that you had this big convo about planck and einstein coz we basically had to write an essay about them and their differing views and i was having the biggest trouble trying to find stuff.

cheers

budj

HSC
"describe conduction in metals as unimpededby the lattice structure" dotpoint is dogy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)