Really easy question but answers wrong? From: Dot Point Preliminary Physics 1.5.5 (c) (1 Viewer)

dkazzle

HSC
The question is:
"A car takes 2.5 hours to travel along the 150 km road from X and Y as shown in the diagram at a constant speed of 60kph. X and Y are 120km apart." The diagram is just X and Y apart with a curvy line connecting them to show the road.

The question 1.5.5(c) is: "Calculate the car's average speed." (edit)

The answer states it is 72kph. Is that right? Isn't average speed = total distance / total time ; which would mean it's 150/2.5 = 60kph.

Can someone please confirm/check this for me? Is there some sort of trick question I'm somehow missing? :\

thanks

*edit: I typed the wrong question lol, sorry about that. But thanks for the replies and help!

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Re: Really easy question but answers wrong? From: Dot Point Preliminary Physics 1.5.5

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Re: Really easy question but answers wrong? From: Dot Point Preliminary Physics 1.5.5

constant speed of 60kph

answer is 60

HSC
N/A

It is if the velocity is constant, which is specified in the question. Also, the question mentions nothing about direction. Remember velocity is a vector. It has magnitude and a DIRECTION. Given the question says the road is curvy, it is possible that the directions are not the same.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

It is if the velocity is constant, which is specified in the question. Also, the question mentions nothing about direction. Remember velocity is a vector. It has magnitude and a DIRECTION. Given the question says the road is curvy, it is possible that the directions are not the same.
I just checked the book and the question actually asks for average speed, not instantaneously velocity.

So not sure why he said instantaneous velocity in the first place.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Well, if it's asking for:
Average Velocity=120/2.5=48kph (direction of X to Y)
Average Speed=Given as 60kph constant

dkazzle

HSC

Thanks for the replies and help! So it is 60kph (for average speed).. answers are wrong, yeh?
And sorry, I actually mistyped the question as I was copying onto here because I was in a bit of a rush lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)