Reapplying for MBBS (1 Viewer)

cooklyfire

HSC
So I finished my HSC last year... but I missed out on an MBBS interview because my UMAT score wasn't adequate.
I just want to know what are the steps in reapplying for MBBS as a First year?
Since I don't want to do GAMSAT....

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
So I finished my HSC last year... but I missed out on an MBBS interview because my UMAT score wasn't adequate.
I just want to know what are the steps in reapplying for MBBS as a First year?
Since I don't want to do GAMSAT....
do well in uni (maintain high GPA), sit the umat in july and apply through UAC like u did in high school.
however, if u do this, u've limited ur chances significantly since quite a few of the undergrad medical schools (monash, UQ, adelaide) dont accept people who have done a year of tertiary study. but if ur only going to apply for the ones in NSW then it shouldnt be a problem.
perhaps take a gap year? that way u save urself a years worth of HECs, can earn some money and have chances at 3 more med schools.

cooklyfire

HSC
Well.. I've already started university. I'm doing B Science(advanced) at USYD; So if I wanted to apply for UQ/Adelaide/Monash as well as NSW Medical schools, how would I do it?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Well.. I've already started university. I'm doing B Science(advanced) at USYD; So if I wanted to apply for UQ/Adelaide/Monash as well as NSW Medical schools, how would I do it?
well if u already have started uni then its a little too late. u can only apply for those that take both tertiary students and school leavers. that rules out UQ, UAdelaide and Monash. u can still apply for UNSW, UWA, JCU and U Newcastle and probably UWS (not sure about their policy on students with a tertiary record from a different uni).
u just apply to sit the UMAT in april and maintain good grades at uni (D/HD average). then u submit ur preferences for UAC, QTAC etc in september.

rx34

HSC
Actually, if you quit before the USYD census date (31st March), it wouldn't matter if you started the course.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Actually, if you quit before the USYD census date (31st March), it wouldn't matter if you started the course.
oh yeh. forgot about that. but it would still rule him out for UQ as they take "school leavers only". so if u take a gap year, u are ineligble. but other than that, u can apply everywhere if u quit before the 31st.

Last edited:

cooklyfire

HSC
If that's the case then; I'll just continue with University (I'm loving it so much!)

On a side note:
Would I have the same chances in getting into medical school compared to a school leaver?

ie. Would UNSW/UWS/etc. prefer Year 12's over Current UNI students?

rx34

HSC
If your ATAR is strong enough (like 99+) and you redo the UMAT and get a reasonable score, it might be easier for you to apply as a recent year 12 school leaver than a transferee. The reason is for courses like law (no idea about medicine) in USYD, 30% of the intake is for transferees. Whereas 70% is for recent school leavers.

So if you are competitive enough for the 2010 Year 12 cohort, I would stop uni, and take a GAP year in Europe. But unless you really can excel in Bach of Science, then go ahead. That being said, if you really want to get into medicine you will push yourself to get that 6.5-7.0 GPA. So taking the transferee route is not impossible (I'm an law transferee example too)

I had a friend who got 99.10 ENTER and didn't get an offer for medicine, only for Arts/Law at Monash. She redid a few of her Year 12 subjects like Chemistry, Methods and also the UMAT. Now she's in medicine at Monash.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
If your ATAR is strong enough (like 99+) and you redo the UMAT and get a reasonable score, it might be easier for you to apply as a recent year 12 school leaver than a transferee. The reason is for courses like law (no idea about medicine) in USYD, 30% of the intake is for transferees. Whereas 70% is for recent school leavers.

So if you are competitive enough for the 2010 Year 12 cohort, I would stop uni, and take a GAP year in Europe. But unless you really can excel in Bach of Science, then go ahead. That being said, if you really want to get into medicine you will push yourself to get that 6.5-7.0 GPA. So taking the transferee route is not impossible (I'm an law transferee example too)

I had a friend who got 99.10 ENTER and didn't get an offer for medicine, only for Arts/Law at Monash. She redid a few of her Year 12 subjects like Chemistry, Methods and also the UMAT. Now she's in medicine at Monash.
Its different for medicine in that u dont "transfer" into the course. You have to apply and u are treated like every other applicant. They convert ur GPA into an ATAR equivalent so everyone is considered equal. They dont set quotas on the number of Year 12 leavers or Tertiary students. Whoever is better, gets the place.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Can't you do post grad medicine at USYD?

Science FTW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)