Reasons for English? Compulsory? (1 Viewer)

laifus

HSC
Why is english compulsory? Universities classify english in the arts, so we are studying an art. Why????? I am a more science / humanities inclined person so why should i have my two worst units count to the UAI instead of my better units. thoughts?

HSC
i think you'll find that there are other threads on this pointless topic. you have to do english whether you like it or not, so stop complaining and go get a tutor if it bothers you so much.

Grammar Police

HSC
N/A
Australia is an English speaking country, why the hell do you think it's compulsory? If you don't like it, go to Europe or Asia. We speak ENGLISH here, either study it or gtfo.

m&ss2008

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
i think you'll find that there are other threads on this pointless topic. you have to do english whether you like it or not, so stop complaining and go get a tutor if it bothers you so much.
where the OP also asked why english should be compulsary.

that is why

HSC
m&ss2008 said:

that is why
haha, to the credit of this OP, s/h/it (gender undisclosed) spelled the word correctly.

runnable

HSC
To show that Australian students have a basic understanding of english.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
m&ss2008 said:

that is why
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's spelt compulsory.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
even though i'm far stronger at english/humanities than maths, i feel sorry for the people who stomp 4u maths/chem/phys then get their 99 pulled down because of english- standard is incredibly difficult to score a b6, and advanced is actually a really difficult course to score a b6 in because of how the bos has structured it.

the board's intentions are good, no doubt, as we don't really want people leaving school without being able to read and write at a decent level, but i think more english periods in y11/heavier focus on the SC should suffice.

tldr version: does a mechanical space engineer really need to know that context -> ideas (techniques) -> values extraced from ideas, or that order vs. chaos is at the heart of king lear?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
People in this thread maybe correct in their argument but it won't change the fact you have to do English and that won't be changing. We have all had to suffer through it (or enjoy it) so your turn, pay your HSC dues. :p

michael1990

HSC
pritnep said:
People in this thread maybe correct in their argument but it won't change the fact you have to do English and that won't be changing. We have all had to suffer through it (or enjoy it) so your turn, pay your HSC dues. :p
LOL

runnable

HSC
michael1990 said:

:spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

Yea anyway im not a fan of HSC English but i think it reasonable to make it compulsory. So at least people know that Australian students can use English to a fairly high level.

However i do think HSC should change the structure of English and not use so many critical analysis essays.

sherly1990

HSC
However i do think HSC should change the structure of English and not use so many critical analysis essays.[/quote]

i agree but i reckon english shouldnt b complulsory...
man i reali hate that subject...
i reckon english should b optional n put maths (well at least general maths compulsory)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
hey it doesnt take a fucking genius why english should be compulsory in the hsc.

as someone has already noted, the national language is english.

apparantly it is a means to scale students on common grounds.

but if you will notice, there are some students who have poor english in high school and do shit in uni due to their lack of gramatical skills or even their lack of coherence to different text needs. eg. report and essay.

HSC
sherly1990 said:
However i do think HSC should change the structure of English and not use so many critical analysis essays.

i agree but i reckon english shouldnt b complulsory...
man i reali hate that subject...
i reckon english should b optional n put maths (well at least general maths compulsory)
nice to see the well thought out, objective replies these types of threads get :rolleyes:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha fucking LOL right there.

if only the repping system still existed.

fucking ace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)