reasons for this uni (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
If you're asking why the UAI cut-off is so low, it's because UAI is NOT representative of the equality of a course.

UAI cut-offs are purely a measure of supply and demand.

If course X can hold 10 people, and 20 go for it, with ten of them having UAIs above 98, then the cut-off will be 98.

Also if course A has 100 places, but only 50 people go for it, and the 50th person has a UAI of 80, then the cut-off is 80.

I suppose that there is always some default floor cut-off, too, to protect the integrity of the course.

sunny

meh.
HSC
miss_gtr said:
i was looking at unsw general engineering course, if its considered the best in the country... then they are pretty friendly with the accept uai of around 75, and UTS is a bit higher.. whats the diff?
The most common misconception of Year 12 students about UAI cut offs. Those who believe this should be shot.

Slide Rule said:
If you're asking why the UAI cut-off is so low, it's because UAI is NOT representative of the equality of a course.
That pretty much sums it up.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
All Engineering at UNSW course will be raised to 85 UAI. :cool:

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
Abit off topic, but does anyone think the cutoff for BArts will go up next year? I think it was 78 or something this time round???

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
miaomiao said:
Abit off topic, but does anyone think the cutoff for BArts will go up next year? I think it was 78 or something this time round???
Yeah i think all UAI's will raise next year

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
miaomiao said:
^What makes you think that?
Cause it was highly unusual last year when all UAIs dropped, some significantly, and the trend is that they increase year by year.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
miss_gtr said:
ah WELL EXCUSE ME IF NO ONE TELLS US ABOUT THIS, in year 12 basically you just strive to get a good UAI, the fact that some have a course in mind and sets their goal UAI to achieve so they are able to get into that course that they want! and by doing so THEY DON'T DESERVE TO BE SHOT, so stop being ignorant just cuz YOUR in uni now.
Did u actually read the post and what it was referring to, cause i agree with him and also you.
It is a common misunderstanding and that it is still a good thing to aim for something

sunny

meh.
HSC
miss_gtr said:
the fact that some have a course in mind and sets their goal UAI to achieve so they are able to get into that course that they want! and by doing so THEY DON'T DESERVE TO BE SHOT
No. Those who work hard and get the UAI they want should be congratulated - but those who think UAI cut offs reflect the quality of a program should be shot - that is what reference my original post was to. That sort of misconception puts unecessary stress on Year 12 students to achieve high UAIs, and just makes the entire system unjust and worse.

A good thread to read:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=50040

gman03

HSC
So the motivation to come to this uni (and other uni as well) boils down to the following:

* how practical / theoretical the courses offered at the uni (e.g. in elec eng in unsw, you have fewer practical experience than theoretical, which they give you a lot; on the other hand I heard UTS gives more practical than theoretical stuff)

* how good the lecturers/tutors are (which can vary between semester and course, but some course at UNSW do "sort of" fixed lecturer for a period of time like in comp)

* how the area of studys are distributed (like for mechatronic engineering, i heard unsw is more emphasied on mechanical and usyd is more on electrical)

* the facilities provided in the uni (i found the facilities provided at unsw sufficient, although more would be nicer)

* etc.

Don't let UAI influence your choice in uni (for reasons, search this forum).. UAI cutoffs is "yesterday" stuff... It might tell you how much hope you can get into the course, but not how good the course itself is.

Finally, good luck in finding a course that you like and hopeful you can get into what you like.

G

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Eagles said:
oh no!

(how'd u know anyway?)
http://www.mining.unsw.edu.au/ said:
Attention all prospective new students...
For all new enrolments commencing in 2006, a minimum UAI of 85 will be required for entry into Engineering Programs at UNSW.

To cater for prospective students who may have a keen interest in becoming an engineer but who may not achieve this UAI, a new Multiple Criteria Entry scheme has been established at UNSW.
There we go.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Eagles said:
Omg omg! no longer basing on supply and demand...
I think they still are, they are only introducing a floor level UAI

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Well, if tis a floor uai, then they're interfering with the competitive model aye?

Oh boy... no more eco until the finals! YES!

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Yeah i think all UAI's will raise next year Cause it was highly unusual last year when all UAIs dropped, some significantly, and the trend is that they increase year by year.
I disagree with this/ am in denial.

KD

HSC
N/A
The UAI will go up to 85 where entry is solely based on UAI.

Where your UAI is between 75 and 85 your entry will be based on how well you do in an interview. The interviews will allow those who have an aptitude or real interest in the degree a better chance to get in rather than having a solid cut off at 80.

If you do poorly at the interviews but get over 85 you will still get in by the standard UAC system.

The interviews will be held later in the year. School careers advisors should either know about this or are about to find out. For further info you could also contact the Faculty of Egineering at UNSW.

KD

HSC
N/A
From: http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/multiplecriteria/2005/index.htm

MULTIPLE CRITERIA ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

For 2006 admissions, Engineering @ UNSW has introduced multiple criteria entry requirements for the admission of undergraduate students to its degree programs. Both current Year 12 and other applicants are eligible to apply.
Engineering is a professional discipline and while good academic performance at school is certainly necessary to complete undergraduate engineering study at university, success in engineering also depends on motivation, attitudes and some ability in areas not measured in high school assessment. For example, engineering is a profession which builds on design and problem solving skills, creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship.

If you are genuinely interested in engineering and think you have a good chance of performing to a high level at university but think your final UAI could be between 75 and 85 you should consider applying for multiple criteria entry requirements. If you are a Category A or a Category B applicant, you may seek admission through the multiple entry criteria requirements but will still need to lodge your university preferences through UAC.

Your suitability for the program will be assessed from your attitude, commitment and interest, the subjects you chose for your HSC, and your UAI (or equivalent rank if you have undertaken any tertiary study). This process will allow you to make a more considered judgement as to whether you might really be suited to engineering at UNSW and subsequently to the engineering profession. Interviews will be held during the week commencing Monday 26th September at the University of New South Wales in Sydney and at locations off-campus in Canberra, Coffs Harbour, and Dubbo.

If your estimated UAI is between 75 and 85, the Faculty strongly encourages you to submit a written application for an interview on an official application form by Friday 16th September 2005.

The application form can be accessed on this webpage from 30 June 2005.

General enquiries may be directed to Email: mcer@unsw.edu.au, Tel: +61 2 9385 6171, Fax: +61 2 9385 5456

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)