reasons to drop maths ext1 (1 Viewer)

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
oh my gosh that is so awesome! You guys totally got my hopes up!!! :D

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Riviet said:
A very challenging first 3 unit prelim assessment! Several of those questions are HSC topics, I think your teacher wanted to see how much you guys knew by giving you a tough test. I would suggest you stick with 3 unit for now, 20% is a fine effort for such a difficult assessment.
I agree with Riviet here, that is a tough exam for a prelim student to complete. That 20% is looking better now.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
wow, that test is difficult... i'm not sure i'll even get a 50% if I do that thing now...

but question 3 is the most straightforward question out of the whole test! LOL!

Question 1 a makes no sense to me... part b would have been difficult for me, since I only just understood that square thing for trig.. but if you know that, it's okay (btw, wtf are radians doing there, isnt degrees for prelim) part c is okay too, but u gotta have studied what the coeficients do.

Question 2 part a is funny and simple, part b, i'm assuming u use that formula for acute angles, so that's okay... c should be fine if you know how to use the t formula method.

Question 3 is simple if you studied the auxillary formula.

But don't worry, that is too hard of a test, especially at this stage. 20 % isn't all that bad. btw, ur teacher seems crazy, our first test was basic algebra, which makes more sense to test at this stage than this trig stuff.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
At my school over half the people doing ext 1 failed their first test. Our test was also pretty hard. I heard that North Sydney Girls had a really hard test prelim maths ext 1 test where over 70% of people failed and all the girls were crying.

P

pLuvia

Yeh that's pretty hard for a first preliminary 3u test, which school do you attend yoakim? This test is good for practice for the HSC, you can use these tests to your advantage since they are harder than other schools you will be more prepared and more aware of the HSC equivalent questions.

YBK: I'm pretty sure I learnt radians in year 11 or at least at tutor I did :p

Yoakim: Did you not have enough time for this test? Because for Q3 auxiliary angle theorem is easy to remember, but maybe auxiliary angles aren't taught in year 11 at your school. Anyway for such a hard test 20% isn't that bad

YBK again: Our first test was basic algebra, arithmetic, basically revision of year 9-10

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
arnold182 said:
lol. wow.

Only one failed our first 3u test.
'Arnold182' What selective school do u go to? Was harder Trig & harder trig equations in your test?

The reason most people failed is because the teachers told us that everything we needed to know what going to be in our crappy '3 Unit Mathematics, Coachman and Jones' book, but none of the harder questions that were in the test were in the book. The people who didnt fail were manily those who got tutored. From now on im going to use Fitzpatrick and Cambridge instead.

Last edited:

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
I go to st paul's college manly, it's a pretty bad overall academic school but we got a new maths teacher 'Mrs.Houtan' who's been teaching in NSW schools for over 30 years. She's trying to toughen us up.
I do remember that she only taught us the auxillery angle formulas for about 2 minutes, then she just rubbed it all off the board and never explained what they were.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
That is indeed a reasonably difficult test.

It irks me that one question essentially goes: "y=f(@). Show that x=a is a root" x? There is no x! That would confuse students.

PS: I never understood auxillary angles until late in year 12, to my shame.

75 or 99!

HSC
i dont think u shud...unless ur finding it diffficult then drp ( whts the point in going through it) buh if ur getting it and its jus the marks tht arent coming in to picture then u have to make more of a effort ...maths in jus pure practice nufin else so i suppose jus practice the questions more and do more challenging ones...and dont take it on one exam take it on a couple...sumtimes u can go blank or may be really tired or jus havent studied

75 or 99!

HSC
Wooz said:
At my school over half the people doing ext 1 failed their first test. Our test was also pretty hard. I heard that North Sydney Girls had a really hard test prelim maths ext 1 test where over 70% of people failed and all the girls were crying.
some skools do harder tests so tht the students will study more and get better tat the questions so by the time they get to the HSC the stuff there is easy fer them...we've have topic tests and omg is it crazy...these two girls( i go to a all girls skool) in my class got 100% buh the test was easy except the fact tht most of us do alot of silly mistakes...reminds me i have to study..lolz

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
haha nah i'd rather just study for 2U it's got enough work to keep me busy

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
FranzFerdinand said:
Students doing 3u in my year @ my school do 2u work together. (We have a separate class for students only doing 2u).
Ooh same here :D
Wooz said:
I heard that North Sydney Girls had a really hard test prelim maths ext 1 test where over 70% of people failed and all the girls were crying.
Really? My cousin goes to that school. I thought she said that the average was like 62% or something with the highest getting 90%. Then again that could have been 2u :p Ugh. Now I don't want my tests back. :S

HSC
airie said:
Ooh same here :D
Yeah, i find it way better that way because the maths work actually stays on track and not all over the place + having 3u maths classes all the time (also doing 2u work, of course) kinda keeps me motivated. :)

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
ooer ext 1 to general? :S I'd do 2-unit if I could, but maths+me=wrong answer.. I'm killing general though, it's like year 9 stuff(which I failed about a 3rd of o_O) all over again!

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
yeah, im gonna tell me teacher that me gonna drop ma ext :D i cant handle the pressure

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
FranzFerdinand said:
Students doing 3u in my year @ my school do 2u work together. (We have a separate class for students only doing 2u).
Same, unless you are in the accelerated class, in which you would do the 2 unit course in year 11, and the 3 unit course in year 12.
yoakim said:
yeah, im gonna tell me teacher that me gonna drop ma ext i cant handle the pressure
If that's how you feel, then you should go for it. It should benefit you for the HSC.
[comment]Coming from an accelerated 3 unit student, this advice seems unnatural[/comment]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)