Recent record with unemployment (1 Viewer)

dp23dwayne

HSC
Can anyone discuss Australia's recent rate of unemployment.

Does anyone also know how 33 year lows of unemployment has made inflation to remain constrained?

Last edited:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Unemployment- 4.2%
Usually there is a negative relationship between inflation and the unemployment rate. How has inflation been restrained?

I'll give you hints to start you off.
-I can tell you that the RBA has a set target inflation rate
-There have been policies (mainly microeconomic) undertaken to ensure lower long term inflation.
Please consult Biki.
-Also look a bit into the causes of inflation.

redom

HSC
hmm i think unemployment went to 4.3% last month...but thats just knitpicking!

inflation has remained steady because of significant microreforms established in the economy over a period of time and a stronger macroeconomic framework!

dp23dwayne

HSC

can anyone explain this? i understand that since october 2001 it has been falling.

HSC
N/A

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Recent record with unemployment

You have to liken the fall unemployment rates to economic growth rates as well as interest rate, rates of conusmption, investment, government spending and terms of trade.

Ozza

HSC
dp23dwayne said:
Does anyone also know how 33 year lows of unemployment has made inflation to remain constrained?
Sure thing, I answered something similar to this quite recently.

The most likely explanation is that the fall in unemployment over the past decade has been slow, allowing the economy more time to absorb new workers without gaining inflationary pressure. Additionally, changes to Australia's labour market have made it more difficult for workers to secure wage rises without productivity increases, while increased competetive pressures have reduced the ability of businesses to raise prices. These changes, in combination with other structural reforms, may have reduced Australia's incidence of structural unemployment and hence reduced the NAIRU, which was assumed to be 6.6% in 2002, but has now been reduced much lower, closer to our unemployment levels today, which could indicate that Australia is running at full employment (i.e. no cyclical unemployment) Which means that continued strength in domestic demand will only create inflationary pressures without contributing to further reductions in the unemployment rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)