"Recession" and University applications (1 Viewer)

Andi0390

HSC
Hey, does anyone know if the recession has impacted the amount of people applying for university, or the type of courses they have applied for? If so, in what way and to what extent?

Just was wondering, thought someone might know.

madsam

God among men
HSC
Probably more people applying for uni - Less jobs now, so study and have more qualifications for when there are more jobs available

Also the governments new initiatives to increase youth tertiary education might impact it a bit

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I doubt it effects you guys much, theres always so reason for particular course to be in demand and such and its not like cutoffs changed much last year during the recession etc so don't worry too much, feel bad for those of us who are applying for graduate positions this year.

Last edited:

chefman21

HSC
N/A
From what I can gather, business and law are down, health and education courses are up, nursing is way up and science is up. Also, more applicants this year and more offers made as well as an increase in percentage of offers made. can't find the articles now.

Epic

HSC
Yeah I'm pretty sure I read that UAC apps were up by approx 1000 from last year.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
the unis pretty much all increase their intake every year, which means two things:

a) the cohort coming in is the largest ever, every year
b) the cohort leaving (graduating) is the smallest currently there

as a result the place gets more like a high school every year :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)