recommend me a laptop (1 Viewer)

yy

HSC
N/A
i don't know anything about computers, so i need some help.
i'm looking for one that's:
  • fast
  • light
  • battery last long
  • have wireless internet stuff
i don't do gaming or watch DVDs with it. i may occasionally listen to music from it, but mainly use is for uni work and internet.

so yeah, what should i get? what processor, memory or stuff like that? or just tell me what to get. and also what price range am i looking at?

anything else i need to know? any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

kouri

well w t f
HSC
yeh macs are great if you want all that for a good price :)
and theres student discounts off the apple web or from uni (unsw mac store)

i just recently ordered a laptop myself. except i'm not a mac person at all ^^;;;

but i did get myself this -> http://cworld.com.au/product_info.php?ID=121580
although thats not really what it looks like. :)

Dells are also really cheap for what they can offer. Although they're kinda... bulky and ugly so i guess the "light"weight doens't fit.

Sony's are too expensive. But yeh like RCmaster says, if you're rich and have money lying around ;P

Anything from Toshiba, IBM, ASUS, HP (high-end ones at least) are okay :)

yy

HSC
N/A
politik said:
Buy a MacBook and install Windows XP on it. Even better, remove every trace of OS X beforehand.
i probably don't know how to do it :eek:

enrop

HSC
My advice, if you want a nice laptop + have $$$$ lying around, then go for a macbook , they look awesome and you can get a local geek to put Windows Xp and Mac OS X on it.

Wait, i remember a catalogue from Apple, they were giving away Windows XP with the laptop, so you probly wouldnt need a geek to install it for you, maybe Apple can do it for you.

If you just want a laptop to do work on + want cheap, go for an Asus Laptop. you can get as cheap as $1300 for a new laptop. Most small computer shops can can order a laptop of Asus.

If you REALLY want to save money, go for a pre-owned laptop, around 500$ for a decent one, perfect for word processing. check ebay, or local computer shop. If you need wireless internet, buy a wireless card for 50$ for it. Only thing with second hand is that battery life can be terrible.

HSC
ive got a sony VIRO, and its really good, its light, got pretty good battery and thier fast. A wireless internet card come with no extra cost. They're pretty pricey but i got a really good deal and a free RAM upgrade.
Oh, and the're really sexy!

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
IBM's Thinkpads are quite okay too for uni. They often come with wireless and sometimes a LED Light on top of your monitor to brighten up your keyboard.

rand0m3r

HSC
politik said:
Buy a MacBook and install Windows XP on it. Even better, remove every trace of OS X beforehand.
u're a complete moron. why would you remove OS X when it's better than XP in the first place? and if you going to use windows-only, then you might aswell buy a slightly cheaper DELL.

sunny

meh.
HSC
rand0m3r said:
u're a complete moron. why would you remove OS X when it's better than XP in the first place?
Because not everyone likes to use it, and it doesn't suit everyone's purposes, even if it is better. Buying a 2 seater Porsche convertible is useless for a family of 7, even if it is a better looking and performing car.

rand0m3r said:
and if you going to use windows-only, then you might aswell buy a slightly cheaper DELL.
Thats up to the buyer to see whether they its worth the money for a MacBook for its appearance and hardware.

I second IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads. They're well built and durable machines with very good technical support - they are relatively pricey though.

rand0m3r

HSC
sunny said:
Because not everyone likes to use it, and it doesn't suit everyone's purposes, even if it is better. Buying a 2 seater Porsche convertible is useless for a family of 7, even if it is a better looking and performing car.
Then you wouldn't buy the Porsche in the first place. duh!

sunny

meh.
HSC
rand0m3r said:
Then you wouldn't buy the Porsche in the first place. duh!
No need to try to be quick and witty. Read the entire post.

sunny said:
Thats up to the buyer to see whether they think its worth the money for a MacBook for its appearance and hardware.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Well I DONT reccomend getting an Asus... I learnt this one the hard way. Especially the new a6j laptops. If its just something you want to word process on then you wont need to go all out on RAM and space.

I recommend getting a RAM of at LEAST 512 Gb but it should be at least 1GB.
as for space I think something with 1GB of space should do the trick. I know that sounds kinda average/small but as you said its only fro typing up uni notes so... goodluck with that. PM me if you need anymore info.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
flipsyde said:
I recommend getting a RAM of at LEAST 512 Gb but it should be at least 1GB.
as for space I think something with 1GB of space should do the trick. I know that sounds kinda average/small but as you said its only fro typing up uni notes so... goodluck with that. PM me if you need anymore info.
I believe you meant 512 MB.

And what do you mean by space? RAM or hard disk? If hard disk, it's impossible to find a 1GB hard drive. They now start at a minimum 40GB (maybe a few 30GB relics around).

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
forgive me that wasnt me typing in my account....but yes IF I were to recommend a computer 512Mb and at least 80GB space

yy

HSC
N/A
thanks a lot everyone! so many choices... so hard to decide.
what's the diff between all the processors that are out there now?

Collin

HSC
N/A
If you're on a budget and want a Windows XP system, I recommend a Dell system.
PC-wise, good specs for productivity to expect from lappies nowadays:
- A dual-core processor. Intel is the primary player in the mobile market for this right now and their Yonah 'Intel Core' processors are great. The base model is the Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66GHz). They are also very power efficient, so expect battery life of upto 5 hours or so for general productivity usage. Intel Core processors are also generally combined to their 'Centrino Duo' platform, which also includes wireless connectivity for the b(11Mbps) and g(54Mbps) protocols.
- 1GB of RAM. Although many vendors still offer 512MB, I would strongly recommend 1GB and even 2GB if you intend to upgrade to Microsoft's upcoming Windows Vista.
All other specs are really up to you; if you want alot of secondary storage, consider a bigger hard disk. Nowadays standard hard disks for lappies come in the form of 40GB (entry-level laptop), 60GB (mid), 80GB (mid-high), 100GB (high-end) or 120GB (top-end). 120GBs are usually only an option for 17" notebooks with the standard being 60GB/80GB for 14" and 15.4" ones. Speaking of screen sizes, remember that a 14" and 15.4" widescreen have the same resolution screens (WXGA+), so even though a 14" screen is physically smaller, you're not missing out on any extra desktop space. For that reason many prefer 14" if they want light. Get a proper video card for your laptop if you intend to upgrade to Vista (you've already mentioned that you don't play games, so otherwise I see no reason to fork out extra on a higher-end video card).
So right now you can grab a Core Duo T2300, 1GB, 80GB system from Dell for about $1,350. Get a 9-cell battery if you want better battery life and the 15.4" WSXGA+ screen upgrade if you want to run your computer @ 1680x1050 resolution.

If you're more familiar with Mac operating systems, then consider the new Intel processor based MacBooks.

SamTheMacMan

HSC
MacBook All The Way.

Awesome, Awesome Machines.

OSX Will do everything you want & more. No Need for Virus' protection etc.

Good luck with your purchase mate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)