recommended privacy settings, general things to know about BoS for noobs (1 Viewer)

hornsbystudylad

HSC
N/A
What settings should I turn on or off regarding profile and privacy on BoS? Any other important things that I need to know?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Welcome to Bored of Studies! :bosman:

How you adjust your settings is entirely dependent on your own preferences. Some users may wish to hide their online status and restrict access to their profile page, either to BoS users only or to no one (excluding moderators). Others may not mind. I personally keep my online status visible and allow anyone (including guests) to view my profile, although only BoS users can make profile posts by default.

Such settings extend to whether you wish to allow other users to start conversations with you. Essentially, you have the option of either allowing or preventing users (excluding moderators) from messaging you privately. I would also recommend turning email notifications on, so that you are notified whenever there is a reply to a thread that you have posted in and/or opted to watch.

Additionally, it would be a good idea to keep the following in mind to optimise your experience of using BoS:
  • Threads should be posted in their appropriate forum. For example, a thread regarding English should be posted in the English forum rather than a general forum.
  • Avoiding any potentially unwanted behaviour, such as negative interactions with other users and sharing/requesting copyrighted material. If at some point while you are using BoS, something does not seem right, feel free to report it so that appropriate action can be taken.
You may also wish to have a look at the following thread to further familiarise you with using this site:

I hope this helps! :D

carrotsss

HSC
Imo the default privacy settings are fine, unless you really don’t want people seeing when you’re online/what threads you view (I don’t really see why you would, nobody cares about that stuff)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)