Recording lectures (1 Viewer)

Willohfish

HSC
N/A
I'm a really slow writer, and someone suggested that I record lectures so I don't have to worry about missing things when writing notes. I'd never considered this before, so I just wanted to ask:

1. Are you even allowed to record lectures? I feel like it would be a copyright problem, honestly.
2. Is it even worth it?
3. Don't most universities podcast their lectures anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
would only be a copyright problem if you distributed it, afaik, you can always ask

if it helps and you're willing to re-watch lectures, it probably is worth it

alternatively, you can get a friend to collaborate their notes

izzy88

HSC
If the lecture is not already recorded (not all are). You can ask the lecturer permission to record it. They may let you, they may not. I have seen lecturers give permission to individual students.

Some people do record the lecturer without asking permission - some get away with it, some don't. And some lecturers get really angry if they find out people have been recording without their permission. To get good sound quality I would think you would have to sit up the front, so it is more likely you would get caught the closer you are to the lecturer (if they see it).

The other option as said above is to collaborate notes with another student, or if you tye faster than you write, bring a laptop.

If you have a particular disability you can also register with the disability service at USYD (I don't know the requirements, you would have to look into it) - they can organise for students to take notes for particular subjects to give to students with a disability (the student note takers also get paid). I don't know much about the system or how it works, but I've been sent emails over the years asking for student note-takers in particular subjects.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)