Recovering from a very bad result. (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
jj_parkour said:
How to deal with bad marks?

I've been feeling really bad about my marks and I feel like I'm not improving...
First and foremost, keep in mind that you are still in year 11, meaning that none of your results will count towards your HSC results or ATAR. Year 11 provides an opportunity for you to determine things such as the best subject combination to have as you commence year 12 as well as optimise your study strategy and address issues that you may face with understanding the content of particular subjects, all of which may be relevant elements to your case. Your current marks only serve as an indication of your current level of performance, therefore informing you that improvement is likely needed in your respective subjects. Based on this, you should consider the following:
  • Speak to your teachers about your performance in each of your subjects. While you may be able to determine areas of improvement on your own, it is likely that your teachers can provide further guidance in terms of the areas where improvement is crucial, which of course will depend on the subject.
  • If you feel that there is a particular subject where your performance is least favourable and where you strongly believe that improvement may not be possible, you may wish to consider dropping that subject. This would allow you to spend more time on your other subjects, giving you a better chance of performing at a higher level overall.
In terms of subject-specific advice and with respect to English Advanced, you should consider attempting various essay questions that fall under each module and seek feedback from your teacher regarding your writing. This will enable you to identify areas of improvement and, if needed, implement any suggestions that your teacher may have, allowing you to gradually improve the overall quality of your writing.

Regarding Mathematics Advanced and Mathematics Extension 1, gaining a thorough understanding of the concepts/content and applying this understanding to practice material, such as textbook questions and past exam papers are essential aspects that constitute effective study/preparation. Doing so will ensure that you are able to apply your knowledge to various types of questions while simultaneously identifying areas where improvement may be required. In such a case, you should ensure that you regularly seek further clarification regarding particular concepts that you feel you may not be fully confident/familiar with. Once you consolidate your understanding of those, you can continue your studies and preparations by completing additional practice material.

Lastly, it is important to remain motivated and determined to achieve your goals. As mentioned, those marks are far from decisive and you definitely have a chance to enhance your performance.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)