red dresses (1 Viewer)

mizosoup

HSC
So i'm wearing a red dress to my formal (halter knee length) but i'm fashion illiterate so tell me, what would you wear with a red in terms of shoes, bag, jewellery, makeup, hair?

mizosoup

HSC
asian but relatively not yellow, pretty light coloured skin but darker arms
black hair, dark brown eyes
oh and i have wide feet which is a pain when trying to find shoes

Always

HSC
I'd go with gold assessories and shoes - always a safe option for a red dress. Don't overdo it with the assessories though. Personally I don't like necklaces with halter necks as it ruins the neckline. Just wear simple gold earrings and a gold bracelet.

Makeup really depends on your features. I think smokey/gold eyes and nude lips will look good with a red dress. Again, keep it minimal. There's nothing worse than turning up at the formal looking like you've spent too many hours playing with your grandmother's makeup kit. Bright red lips with a red dress looks tacky imo.

Hair also depends on your face shape/features. Just keep it simple (eg. down in waves, a sleek ponytail with a quiff, a messy bun, etc) and you can't go wrong. You could add a gold brooch or a red flower or the like for interest.

shortie_689

HSC
Yeah Id go Red an Silver just cause I love silver an white gold... cant stand the yellowness of gold.... Anway... Go silver strappy shoes an if u can find it either a silver bag or a red bag Id prefer silver cause u should always match ur shoes to ur bag... Anyway is the halter low cause wat always looks hot with them is a long drop necklace drops down into ur clevage... Nice earings an maybe a nice ring or two but go with interesting not boring bands... an yeah

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i bought a red dress to wear to my formal last year
then i changed my mind and decided to wear black and red
too much red can be ..um..too much

red and black is always good
but its typical...ive seen red and silver , red and gold, um...red and white, but depends on the styles and what u look like and etc etc as to wether u can pull it off

bex

HSC
i dont like silver. the end.

YEAH! that suggestion above is nice.. if you overdo the godl or have a really pale gold it could look tacky.. keep it simple because a red dress is enough of a statement in itself

HSC
Do whatever you like, just don't overdo the red. Personally i'd go with white, but mainly because my hair is black. I wouldn't recommend red lipstick on a red dress, because you'll probably look overdone or uncoordinated.

Red lippy + red shoes + black dress + black bag... :uhhuh:

Metallics are everywhere this season, so it shouldn't be hard finding gold/ silver/ bronze/ copper accessories. Good luck and post pics when you're done!

Lainee

HSC
Because you're pretty pale I would say gold jewelry is the best because it lights up your skin more (and looks better in photos :) ).

The elaborateness of the jewelry depends on the neckline of your dress (there are many different types of halters!), the back of the dress and how detailed the dress is. If there's any detail at all around the bust area (a knotted front, beading etc.) then it's oft better to forego a necklace and go for more bangles or a hair clip, whatever. Normally, a charm necklace (pendant on a thin chain) and lots of gold bangles is preferable to an elaborate necklace and nude arms. It's more balanced. :)

Red almost always looks stunning with dark hair! But you can bet that whoever else is wearing red will almost always team it with bronze or black. It's not very original and gives too much of a polished and stiff 'I tried to match everything' look.

I woulllddd ssaayy, some medium blue pumps and a similarly coloured clutch would be eye-catching!

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ln20vi.jpg - So Lindsay looks disgustingly thin there, but that's what I mean about red and blue, it looks gorgeous with some blue-grey eyeshadow. There were critics, but... I like it. :p

Step away from liquid eyeliner if you're considering it! Red dress and liquid eyeliner scream dragon queen. Do not do red lipstick - extremely tacky. A rosy hue for lips is best, go as natural as possible but do add some sort of pinkish colour as it'll complement the red (as opposed to a more plum or orangey coloured lipstick). And focus on the cheeks, rosy cheeks (not bronzey or tanned) go best.

The important thing with the makeup is not to let the red dress drown out your skin tone and features. :)

Good luck and have fun!

HSC
Lindsay is wearing Louboutins, i'd love to be in her shoes, peroxide anorexic party animal or not :(

Oh yeah, whatever you do, don't overdo your makeup. You're better off going wearing no makeup than wearing too much.

mizosoup

HSC
Well I'm leaning towards black shoes and bag b/c so far, I've only found one pair of shoes that look nice AND fit my horrible wide feet. Argh, I hate my feet!

Gold is definately out; makes me feel and look too Chinese, but bronze is a good idea...never thought about bronze...

The dress is slightly cowl necked and I'd post photos but something's wrong with my uploading program which is pissing me off...

Always

HSC
Out of black and bronze, I'd go with bronze. Red and black is rather boring imo.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Lindsay wouldn't look so bad if she didn't have the skanky blonde hair that totally doesn't suit her skin tone.....Nicole Richie on the other hand looks like an advertisement for anorexia

mizosoup

HSC
hmm...heres an idea....
white shoes like the ones lindsay's wearing in that pic (there' probably a name for that but i don't know it and i rckn my wide feet will definately fit in them) and white bag, but what jewellery to wear with white and red?

edited to add pics that resemble what i'm thinking of in above description:

shoes like this but w/o beading

bag like this but as a clutch

and dress that's a cross between this top

http://store.yahoo.com/edressme/sexyknits4.html

and this dress

http://store.yahoo.com/edressme/homecoming-wrap-dress-02.html

(wtf? why won't the image function work?)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)