• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Red light cameras and speed cameras (1 Viewer)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
I heard from a friend that red light cameras also take pictures of speeding vehicles? Is this true?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
z600 said:
I heard from a friend that red light cameras also take pictures of speeding vehicles? Is this true?
You didn't know that..? If they didn't have photographic proof, how would they prove that you actually did it?

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
You didn't know that..? If they didn't have photographic proof, how would they prove that you actually did it?
His basically asking whether a red light camera works as a speed camera aswell. Which is No. They take photographs incase you contest the fine and take it to court.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
wrxsti said:
His basically asking whether a red light camera works as a speed camera aswell. Which is No. They take photographs incase you contest the fine and take it to court.
They do record speed as well. There's a few in the area where I live. I used to see the lights go off all the time when a car speeds past, and/or when a car drives through a red light.

I also know that because I've been caught by one before at the lights that was not in the process of changing colours. I was fined for speeding 5kmh over the limit, not for any red light offences.

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Riet said:
lies.
Red light cameras aren't speed cameras.
They certainly are in Melbourne. Probably the more well known one is the one on the main thoroughfare Alexandra Parade, Fitzroy.

Last edited:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
If red-light cameras worked as speed cameras, alot of lawsuits would arise. All the signage that comes with a speed camera/red light camera should indicate its purpose. There's a reason why the speed limit is attached to the "speed camera ahead" sign and not used on a "red light camera ahead" sign.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
wrxsti said:
If red-light cameras worked as speed cameras, alot of lawsuits would arise. All the signage that comes with a speed camera/red light camera should indicate its purpose. There's a reason why the speed limit is attached to the "speed camera ahead" sign and not used on a "red light camera ahead" sign.
The speed camera ahead sign is only displayed by NSW and QLD as far as I know. Vic has no sinage of an upcomming speed camera.

RogueAcademic said:
They certainly are in Melbourne. Probably the more well known one is the one on the main thoroughfare Alexandra Parade, Fitzroy.
Have you gone up the Eastlink yet? I'm sure you know this, the toll points all have speed cameras up there with the toll cameras and scanners.

Rainie

HSC
Not true. Red light camera only detects if you're over the white painted line on the road? (correct me if i'm wrong) and hence only detects if you're gone over the line when the lights flip red.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
AusBluesMan said:
The speed camera ahead sign is only displayed by NSW and QLD as far as I know. Vic has no sinage of an upcomming speed camera.
I think Vic does have signage but I can't remember what the exact wording is. But either way, in response to what wrxsti said above, speeding is an automatic and onerous offence, I don't think you could sue simply because there wasn't ample warning that there's a speed camera in the area.

AusBluesMan said:
Have you gone up the Eastlink yet? I'm sure you know this, the toll points all have speed cameras up there with the toll cameras and scanners.
No I haven't had the chance to go up Eastlink but I know what you're talking about. I actually don't live far from it. I'm not surprised they've got all those cameras set up. They've got them up the other freeways as well.

boris

Banned
HSC
I think you should all go to your respective state rtas and look it up.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
I think Vic does have signage but I can't remember what the exact wording is. But either way, in response to what wrxsti said above, speeding is an automatic and onerous offence, I don't think you could sue simply because there wasn't ample warning that there's a speed camera in the area.

No I haven't had the chance to go up Eastlink but I know what you're talking about. I actually don't live far from it. I'm not surprised they've got all those cameras set up. They've got them up the other freeways as well.
They just need to put radar scanners up on the pillars, then alot of people would be screwed. I've seen people slow for the toll point, and speed up again.

Peartie

HSC
as has been said....some states do have redlight and speed cameras as one entity....im not entirely sure about in NSW though - and the signage is stupid - you were speeding, ur an idiot, you got caught - GET OVER IT!!!

WA doesnt need signs before speed cameras and they can be hidden behind bushes and what not so you dont see them until it flashes.....get over it and stop whinging "but there was no sign"...just stop speeding / running red lights and you'll be fine!

HSC
I've always wondered at the reasoning behind warning people about upcoming speed cameras. It's a crime to be speeding anywhere, so it's not like people have a foot to stand on when caught. Of course there would be a massive increase in revenue, but surely the signs can't be to prevent that (there's complaining about revenue-raising anyway).

Mike Larry

HSC
someone once told me that the camera doesn't actually go off until you've crossed the other side of the intersection.

eg: say you are travelling at such a speed that you cannot stop before the white line, and you end up actually stopping halfway across the intersection

...the camera won't actually snap you.

don't know how accurate that is tbh.

Peartie

HSC
i thought that it took a photo if you were in the intersection...then they used their common sense and if u were basically out of it when the red light went you were fine but if u were only halfway across it then u got snapped?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)