Redfern Station to USYD. (2 Viewers)

Ricky09

HSC
As i will be communting from the central coast to USYD everyday i was looking at the map and it looks like that Redfern station is the closest station to the university. I was wandering if anyone else here does this and if they do how long is the walk from the station to the campus or is there a bus?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Everyone walks from Redfern to uni when uni is in session. It's the closest station. The walk is about 10 mins and there is no need for a bus. Walk out the station, turn left and walk down til you reach the traffic lights. Then turn left again and straight until you reach another set of traffic lights and you'll see a little laneway. Turn into that and you shoudl see the USYD sign.

My instructions suck, I know. But it's not that hard. Since uni is not in session, there aren't any crowds of students to follow but it shouldn't be difficult.

cimbom

HSC
It's sort of the back- entry though, it's not close to the quadrangle or fisher library. For me it's awesome because it doesn't take very long to get to merewether/wentworth. If you spend most of your time on the camperdown campus however, maybe the chemistry building and carslaw, you have to cross city road and walk a bit further. If you're in education towards manning it's even further.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
I find the walk from central isn't that far either. It probably is it just doesn't feel that way. Plus it is more enjoyable because maccas is on the way :eek:

If you are mostly in places on darlington campus then redfern

If you are mostly on the camperdown campus then central.

Ricky09

HSC
Awesome. That all helped.

Theres like one train from Gosford to Redfern, so if i miss that i can just go from central to redfern or straight to the campus.

I'm doing commerce for the record.

cimbom

HSC
Then redfern stn would probably be the best for you. You should have most of your classes in merewether, and maybe some lectures in eastern avenue auditorium. I don't know if you've been to usyd before, but from the redfern stn entry the merewether building (where you'll most probably have lectures and tutes for econ at least) is very close.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Ricky09 said:
Awesome. That all helped.

Theres like one train from Gosford to Redfern, so if i miss that i can just go from central to redfern or straight to the campus.

I'm doing commerce for the record.
I get the express train from Hornsby in the morning that comes from the Central Coast. Most of the morning trains (probably like 80%) stop at Redfern, but if they don't, just get off at Central and either walk straight up Parramatta Road then down City Road and that will take you to the Commerce section of the University.

Alternatively take either the 422, 423, 426 or 428 buses which will take you down that same route and get off when heaps of Uni students do (after the overhead pedestrian bridge on City Road)

Ricky09

HSC
Oh kay. Thanks for that.

I will be going down on the 3rd for the advisory day to get familiar with the campus and the routes from the stations, etc.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i walk everyday from redfern to the vet buildings (furthest possible from redfern while still on main campus,) and it takes about 25 mins each way. I like the walk in the morning, cos its mostly downhill, but in the arvo it sucks cos its uphill and its usually hot, and i'm usually tired / hungry / just want to get home.

I have tried the walk to central, it takes a bit longer for me, and its not nice since you have to walk right on the side of paramatta rd, which is smelly and noisy and just gross when its raining. And like someone said, you have to walk past about 50 fast food shops which is not the best when you're on your way home and are hungry, but not wanting to get fat....

The refern walk is nicer, you can avoid most of the main roads, and dont have to wait for traffic lights, and once you know your way around, you learn all the side-routes to avoid the crowds (especially useful when its raining and everyone has umbrellas and are being slow)

Also, pedestrians always have right of way on campus (as they are not public roads, normal rules dont apply) and there are lots of pedestrian crossings etc, not like in the city where you have to wait for lights.

Anyway, that my 20 cents worth... go the walk from redfern, you'll be sitting on your bum all day at uni and will prob need the exercise anyway!

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
I live in Berowra (en route from Gosford to City) and catch Express train that stops at Hornsby, Epping and/or Eastwood, Strathfield. Takes about 45 minutes for me, but that's the fastest way. The problem is the last express train that stops at Redfern gets there at 8:33. So if you have a late start, you may have to get off at Central.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
im super lazy, so I just buy a red travel pass, and catch a bus from central :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)