Redoing a HSC subject (1 Viewer)

sly_skittle

HSC
I was just wondering what you do if you want to re do a HSC subject or do an entirely new one all together?
Do you do it through TAFE/distance education or other? I've been looking around for ages but I can't find anything.
Has anyone done this before?
Can I start a subject as late as the end of this term and still sit the HSC next year?
Does anyone know if its possible to just study a subject at home - not through a school and just sit the exam at the end of the year?
I think that I stuffed up general maths because I wasn't thinking and my mark will be around 5% below what I usually get and I wanted to do chemistry because it is a prereq. for a course that I want to do- but I didn't want to do that course when I picked my subjects in year 11
Any help would be great.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
sly_skittle said:
I was just wondering what you do if you want to re do a HSC subject or do an entirely new one all together?
Do you do it through TAFE/distance education or other? I've been looking around for ages but I can't find anything.
Has anyone done this before?
Can I start a subject as late as the end of this term and still sit the HSC next year?
Does anyone know if its possible to just study a subject at home - not through a school and just sit the exam at the end of the year?
I think that I stuffed up general maths because I wasn't thinking and my mark will be around 5% below what I usually get and I wanted to do chemistry because it is a prereq. for a course that I want to do- but I didn't want to do that course when I picked my subjects in year 11
Any help would be great.
Yes you can redo a HSC subject, though you will only take the marks of your most recent attempt even if it is worse. You can also choose a new one provided you do so in combined format - which is what is usually offered at TAFE campuses anyway.

The three main options are that you can do it at school, through distance education(OTEN/Syd Distance/Open High) or through TAFE. Heaps and heaps of people have done it before, though generally not many people who have actually post on this forum. I myself did my year 10 - 12 through TAFE and many of my classmates were repeating.

Yes you can start a subject at the end of this term, however if you intend to do it a school it'll be up to the teachers whether they accept late comers or not. TAFE campuses mainly start next year so there is no problem with that.

You can study a subject at home via correspondence, however if you couldn't do well enough the first time then I don't advise you to do it on your own the second time as obviously there was something wrong that needs to be worked on - a good teacher can help with this.

Also, don't freak out yet, you may not have scored 5% less in General Maths and even if you did 5% is not that big of a difference and you don't know whether it will prevent you from getting in or not. I'd also say its not worth a year of repeating over 5% less marks. You could just transfer from one uni course to another instead.

It should also be mentioned that no HSC course is prerequisite for anything, at most it is assumed knowledge and that can be solved to an extent with bridging courses.

If you want more info on HSC at TAFE, then I'd advise you to go to the TAFE NSW forum and look at the HSC FAQs and guides there.

Last edited:

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Before you go making any decisions wait to see how your results you are. You never know, you might have gone a lot better than you think you did and like kami said 5% really isn't that big a difference. A prerequisite for a uni course isn't really a reason to repeat, a bridging course would give you the basics that you need.

I didn't repeat any HSC courses, but I did do Yr 12 over two years through pathways. Honestly if its only a matter of doing a tiny bit worse than you thought you would its not worth repeating. You get over the HSC after a while and its really hard to stay motivated, even more so if you were repeating a course because it would just get really boring and repetitive. For that reason you could end up going worse, then you'd regret it a lot because you'd be stuck with a lower mark.

I really would advise you not to, as it just wouldn't be worth dragging the HSC on for so long when there are so many paths even if you don't get the marks you wanted.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yep, I agree with Skittles and kami--don't repeat! One girl repeated from the year above me, i.e. she finished with us then, and she did no better than she did in her "real" HSC. I don't actually know whether she did any worse, but she was demotivated, and the other girl who stayed with us, doing Pathways, also got demotivated and none of her 2005 units were above 90, as opposed to her 2004 units where all were.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Are there any requirements for doing it by correspondence? I know at school I wanted to do Economics but my subject lines/timetable wouldn't allow it and I was not able to do it by correspondence because it was offered at my school. Would I be able to redo any subject by correspondence or would it being offered at my local school prohibit me? I'm assuming I can seeing I wouldn't be attending the school, but I just want to make sure.

sly_skittle

HSC
the reason I wanted to do another subject is because i want to try and get into medicine next year- i didn't realise that the UAI only had to be above 92 for UWS. So I was going to do a subject next year and sit the UMAT so that I could apply for undergraduate medicine. Can I apply next year even if i don't do another subject or do I have to switch between courses or wait for postgraduate medicine?

sly_skittle

HSC
timobr0 said:
Are there any requirements for doing it by correspondence? I know at school I wanted to do Economics but my subject lines/timetable wouldn't allow it and I was not able to do it by correspondence because it was offered at my school. Would I be able to redo any subject by correspondence or would it being offered at my local school prohibit me? I'm assuming I can seeing I wouldn't be attending the school, but I just want to make sure.
That seems weird. One girl at my school did a subject by correspondence because it was on the wrong line. I've only looked at the karabar distance education website and it doesn't answer the questions either.
Also the price per subject is $500 if you go to a private school and only $30 if you go to a public school. What would I have to pay next year cause I've finished school but I did go to a private school.
Sorry I can't really answer the question but i know people do it so you must be able to-maybe just find the right school?

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
sly_skittle said:
That seems weird. One girl at my school did a subject by correspondence because it was on the wrong line.
well if that's true, then I hate my ex-principal :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)