• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Referees (1 Viewer)

TurboCraig

HSC
How the hell do you get a job without referees?! :mad1:

Should I say that I worked in Zambia or some crap so they don't bother contacting them?

Last edited:

pottsy44

HSC
natstar said:
asking teachers/year advisors from your high school can be a good reference..i have them on mine
yea but most employees ask for work referees. just say you havn't got any and offer them a character referee (teacher, family friend) and usually they will say that it doesn't matter, as they want to know how effectively and effeciently you work and work with people.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
heh. okay i'm a bit dubious about actually placing referees from my last job on my resume...because im not too sure what they would say about me. i quit, because i was finding the environment there too disorganised and stressful and the manager i had was frankly shithouse and didnt really know what he was doing, imho. /end rant.
anywho he wasnt too happy with me when i said i was leaving. and we never got on well while i was there anyway. so yeah. i'm leaning towards not listing this dude as a referee... i have plenty of teachers and family friends that i could use though.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
heh. okay i'm a bit dubious about actually placing referees from my last job on my resume...because im not too sure what they would say about me. i quit, because i was finding the environment there too disorganised and stressful and the manager i had was frankly shithouse and didnt really know what he was doing, imho. /end rant.
anywho he wasnt too happy with me when i said i was leaving. and we never got on well while i was there anyway. so yeah. i'm leaning towards not listing this dude as a referee... i have plenty of teachers and family friends that i could use though.
what if ur new prospective employer asked.....

"hey u worked at _____ before, why don't you have anyone from there as ur referee?"

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I hear that the fact that you work there is enough sometimes. You know, just to make sure you DID do 2 years of cafe work. Whether or not you were the best employee ever can potentially mean very little.

In addition to teachers etc, if you guys ever did extra curricular stuff, such as babysitting or being a sports coach or something, they could be good referees.

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
Anyone out there got a job without any referees? I don't think it's that important for junior/casual jobs.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm not specifically applying for a job advertised in an ad--I'm mainly doing the rounds and asking if there are any vacancies or Christmas work I could take up. In that case, should I provide references, or just do "references available upon request"?

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i think that unless you have some really good referees, then the 'referees upon available request' would be good...so can make it look like you have them but dont want to give out their details or something. sneeky but good

my current babysitting job is the only one where i know that they've asked my referees. none of others really cared...more of a "i wont bother calling unless i'm concerned about how she'll handle it" sort of thing.

tasty

HSC
well places like donut king basically give you the job on the spot.

BlackDragon

HSC
TurboCraig said:
How the hell do you get a job without referees?! :mad1:

Should I say that I worked in Zambia or some crap so they don't bother contacting them?
i brought a complete portfolio to my job interview with numerous referees. he didn't even look at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)