References - can u use to many? (1 Viewer)

Lu Lu

HSC
I have just realised that I have used 20+ references for my sociology essay. I know that this is going to sound like a dumb question but can u over reference in an essay? The essay is 2000 words if that helps and it doesn't really look like i used that many references but apparently I did. Should I cut some out or is this ok?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
As long as you actually used them correctly then that is fine. If you have referenced things you have not cited in the body, or used dodgy references, then you should get rid of those.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Lu Lu said:
I have just realised that I have used 20+ references for my sociology essay. I know that this is going to sound like a dumb question but can u over reference in an essay? The essay is 2000 words if that helps and it doesn't really look like i used that many references but apparently I did. Should I cut some out or is this ok?
No thats not too much

Lu Lu

HSC
Thanks guys. I was having a late night, last minute assignment freak out. Thanks for the help!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Although there is no such thing as too many references, you need to be careful, because it can look as if you're over-referencing to try and make yourself look good, or well read, or whatever.
As someone else mentioned, don't use dodgy references.

And, if you're APA style, keep in mind the in-text referencing counts towards your word limit!!

Demandred

HSC
Problem with too much referencing is that you're relying too much on other people's ideas, in some works, you're suppose to form you're own critique or perspective on the matter.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Demandred said:
Problem with too much referencing is that you're relying too much on other people's ideas, in some works, you're suppose to form you're own critique or perspective on the matter.
Not really, how you use references, and the amount aren't exclusively mutual with each other.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I don't think you could ever be failed for using too many references. Think of it as training for your final year. Just pity the poor senior student, or post grad, whohas to mark the damn thing then possibly look up 20 resources to see if you're plagirising.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
No, there isnt a problem with too many references, but just be careful of plagiarism and the in-text referencing thing that hipsta_jess mentioned.

Also, make sure that you are creating your own argument, or at least a critique of the references you are using. And do not over-quote because your argument will just look reproduced and cheap: only use direct quote to directly support your argument, and only resort to them as a last alternative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)