References.... (1 Viewer)

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
hey guys i don't know what to put for my references section, i've never worked at a proper job before, only considering it now since i'm free, so it sounds dumb but i don't have any references! year 12 teachers have only known me two years, and they never gave me anything beside the school telephone....would that be a reference? i've been at uni for 1 year now also, can lecturers be references too? thx

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
there are lots of people you can have as references. your school year advisor, a person who's not a relative who; kinda seen you work alot and knows you pretty darn well, even a lecturer if they know you properly. a referee basically needs to be able to say good stuff about you and good stuff about how you work in a professional manner. im sure there's someone out there who can do that for you ;)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
ask one of yuor parents to pretend to be an employer. and give them a lastname that u dont share.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't do that =P It makes you dishonest and could get you in trouble later on.

For me, I was fortunate to have good references from people in the industry I was applying for. You can use your family members if you think that it's a good idea- eg. my sister is an accoutant; so I had her on my list.

Try to avoid the boring ones whom know very little about you like year advisor, school principal, etc.. unless they actually do know something about you. If this is a casual retail job or something liek that, then maybe it'll be ok to use.

sarevok

HSC
Didn't your school give you a written-reference when you left yr 12?

Try getting family-friends, uni- tutors if you can - your lecturer will probalby not give you a reference, they are busy people. Faking referees is of course an option.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Written references from schools tend be somewhat 'exaggerated' from someone who doesn't know you that well- for us, we had to write down all our achievements and involvements, and then someone else typed it up in summary form and viola! That was our school reference.

but if you have nothing else- then that's probably your best bet.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
that may be true in some cases. but my yr12 reference was excellent, true stuff and it sounded good too. :D, my year advisor rules.

anyhow, don't lie, don't make up references, you might just get screwed.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
nope, i didnt get any reference list or anything from school, dunno y, it never even came up in conversations either...till now, lol maybe i should go to school and ask them where my references are...?

P

pLuvia

Teachers, ex-employer, volunteer workers etc and all my references

You should have asked for references when you left year 12 :)

Collin

HSC
N/A
SashatheMan said:
ask one of yuor parents to pretend to be an employer. and give them a lastname that u dont share.
That's what I did, and it worked out great. I didn't have a proper reference at the time, so I put down my mum. Thing was, I WAS actually working for her business, so that's ok.. just that Coles Myer explicitly stated that I wasn't to put down relatives such as mum or dad. But now I do have a proper reference (i.e CML), so it was good I was able to use my mum as an initial jumping-stone.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Although you can still put down a family as a reference if you think it will be beneficial- eg. your father is a partner in an accounting firm you are applying for^^

nellyei

HSC
wat type of job are you applying for?

If its a job that is similar to stacking shelves, like something similar to Kmart or Target, then i'd put down every single thing that i've done that is simlar to 'stacking shelves' ie put down all the places youve worked at. Put down what you did at the 'proper job' if you've never worked before.

But since you never had a 'proper job' then i recommend getting referecences from teachets, coachs(they would know how you worked as a team) and defiently from your lecturers.

If its a professional job like white-collar, ie IT dude, receptionist, Accountant something like that, then i have no idea but to probably put down your lecturers and teachers.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I was applying for a white collar job and I put down, two mentors from ABW State (business studies camp), a partner from an accounting firm (work experience), my sister (who also works in an accounting firm), our school's ex-deputy principal (he oversaw alot of my extra curricular activites), and my economics teacher (head of faculty).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)