REFERENCING HELP anyone? (1 Viewer)

yr12yr12

HSC
N/A
Is anyone good at referencing? Today I got an referencing exercise one question requires me to correct sentences for grammar, spelling etc.. including reference conventions

I will right it as is:

1. The Hunter Street revitalization plan will create a new transport hun which will be easy to access. (The city of Newcastle website homepage 2011)

2. According to Watson states that even prior to the construction of the Sydney Opera House many careers of the professionals involved were made or broken, page 12, 2006.

3. Habbens G.M. 2012. says that students should look carefully at your textbooks and research materials. A recommended readings no matter how relevant ever contains the complete answer for your assignment

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Is anyone good at referencing? Today I got an referencing exercise one question requires me to correct sentences for grammar, spelling etc.. including reference conventions

I will right it as is:

1. The Hunter Street revitalization plan will create a new transport hun which will be easy to access. (The city of Newcastle website homepage 2011)

2. According to Watson states that even prior to the construction of the Sydney Opera House many careers of the professionals involved were made or broken, page 12, 2006.

3. Habbens G.M. 2012. says that students should look carefully at your textbooks and research materials. A recommended readings no matter how relevant ever contains the complete answer for your assignment
1. isn't it revitalisation* and hub*?
2. take out the according to at the beginning. after opera house, there should be a comma
3. at their* textbooks

I haven't really learnt referencing yet so I can't help you there sorry.

enoilgam

HSC
Hopefully I'm right on this (using Havard style):

1) The Hunter Street revitalisation plan will create a new transport hub which will be easy to access (The City of Newcastle, 2011) - Not sure on this one, usually goes author page and date for internal reference so I went off that.

2) Watson (2006, p. 12) states that even prior to the construction of the Sydney Opera House, the careers of many professionals were 'made or broken' (made or broken is a colloquialism, so I have put it in quotation marks).

3) Habbens (2012) says that students should look carefully at their textbooks and research materials. However recommended readings, no matter how relevant, ever contain the complete answer for an assignment.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Here's an example of a journal article I cited in a essay I did last year:

Blühdorn, I. 2011, ‘The Politics of Unsustainability: COP15, Post-Ecologism, and the Ecological Paradox’, Organization & Environment, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 34-53

And the accompanying sentence:

During the COP15 summit in Copenhagen, there was a clear consensus identifying climate change as a global threat and that international co-ordination would be essential to ensure the threat could be reduced yet there were difficulties in reaching an agreement on how individual countries would engage in such a system, with allowable concessions being disputed (Blühdorn, 2011).

[HR][/HR]
It may look a bit more complex in comparison to what high school permitted you to do, but universities are very strict on referencing. Make sure you learn referencing properly. If you don't, you're dropping easy marks.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
It may look a bit more complex in comparison to what high school permitted you to do, but universities are very strict on referencing. Make sure you learn referencing properly. If you don't, you're dropping easy marks.
This is very important to remember - in most of my essays, referencing is worth 10-15% of the total mark. Markers will penalise you for the smallest errors made in referencing (especially with law - I know people who lost marks for putting a comma in the wrong place)

izzy88

HSC
The other thing to note with referencing is that different faculties will have different ways they want referencing done. So always check your unit of study guide etc for the specifics of what they want (if they have it in there), or the faculty website etc. They can be very minor differences, but some lecturers care and others don't - some want it to be exact, and others are happy for you to choose what referencing style you like so long as its consistent.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I don't know why people have problems with referencing, it's not hard to find guides on the style you need to use.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know why people have problems with referencing, it's not hard to find guides on the style you need to use.
I have to agree with you on this. I hear a lot of students bitch about referencing but if you learn it properly, it's very easy to do accurately in a quick manner. I tend to just bring up one of my recent assignments and then just copy the format when writing a new paper (All my units so far as happy with Harvard).

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A

I will right it as is:

Your university library should have links taking you through a guide on how to reference in different styles.

'The Little Penguin Handbook' or something along those lines also has a detailed guide on how to Harvard reference different sources with author(s), without author(s), without publication dates etc.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Is this the USyd Commerce thing? If I remember correctly, out of the ENTIRE USyd Commerce cohort last year, 4 people passed this thing. If memory also serves, this was 'non-assessable'.

Nevertheless....enoilgam has it correct, as far as I know (using Harvard style referencing).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)