Referencing (1 Viewer)

CieL

HSC
I've found that in tutorials and in the booklets, they really only teach you how to reference books.. and not (online) journals..

So I'm getting confused as to which title comes first.. the name of the journal, or the title of the article..

So far I've come to the conclusion that it's something along the lines of

Chamberlin, J. (2004) Head of the Class: Money Matters, 2(3), 18-19.

But that looks insanely short

And there seems to be additional info.. like gradPSYCH.. and I'm not even sure if money matters should be in italics.. nor do I know which should be capitalised..

OMG this is such a pain.. =.=

Tried to attach the .pdf but it's about 20kb too big.. lame..

If anyone can point out any mistakes or offer info it'll be well appreciated!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Part 2: 3. Referencing - Using references in your assignments

How do I reference in my assignment?

[*]Using direct quotations
[*]How to reference sources

Using direct quotations

"Aim to use direct quotes only when necessary, such as when the author's exact words are particularly important and so paraphrasing may lose the substance and impact of their message."

"Generally, it is better to paraphrase than use direct quotes. If you are able to put the author's ideas in your own words, it shows you understand what he or she is saying, and it usually helps the writing to flow more easily. An assignment that uses too many direct quotes often means the student hasn't really understood what the author is saying, or doesn't know how to incorporate the information into their argument."

"Generally, keep direct quotes short and to the point. You can paraphrase a large part of an author's idea, and only directly quote the important part."

1. Direct quotes can be used in a sentence:

Example 1:
Slavin refers to some weaknesses of Piaget's theory, stating that "some of his central principles have been questioned in more recent research" (1997, p. 43).

Example 2:
One author suggests that Piaget's work has been criticised recently because the "broad stages of development affecting all types of cognitive tasks" (Slavin, 1997, p. 44) have been questioned.

Tutor's Note:

Example:
Cameron argues that Piaget's theory represented a "significant step forward in our understanding of children's cognitive development, while offering ... immense implications for classroom teaching" (1998, p.131).
2. Longer quotations

Longer quotations are not placed in quotation marks. Instead, they are double-indented so that they are separated from the text.

Example:
Perhaps the most fundamental issue to be taken into account when considering the socialization of children into school life is their family life. Huxon (1996 in Edwards 1998) argues that by the time a child reaches school, the larger part of their acquisition of values and selfhood has already occurred. According to Johnson (1998:185),

The family is the child's passport to social life. Through the language, relationships and social life of the family, the child will adopt the world view of the community in which he or she lives, and this view is very strong by the time the child begins school. While schooling can have a significant influence in shaping the child, it is early family life that is essential in giving the child the opportunity to grow up as a well-adjusted individual.

How to reference Sources:

3. Referencing - Referencing the APA way

X

xeuyrawp

The APA uses this style:

Author, A. A., Author, B. B., & Author, C. C. (Year). Title of article. Title of periodical, volume number, pages.

So, Chamberlin, J. (2004). Head of the Class, Money Matters, 2(3), 18-19. is correct by that standard. Note the lack of quotation marks, the italicising of volume numbers, etc.

I use a different style, but I assume psychology uses that standard? Then again, it's not a psych article...

Style that I use (and seems to be more common in humanities): J Chamberlin, 'Head of the Class', Money Matters, vol. 2, no. 3, 2004, pp. 18-19. Then, in the biblio, you move the initial after the surname and get rid of the page numbers.

(edited for correctness)

Last edited by a moderator:

CieL

HSC
Thanks guys!

AsyLum - that link was real handy.. I was getting confused all over again on how to reference sites that didn't have periodicals or whatever they're called..

Thanks Pwar for providing a summary haha =]
Is it not a psych article? Well.. I found it in a psych databaseeeee.. and the unit is psych.. so I guess I'll just use whichever way they've given examples in the tutes

X

xeuyrawp

CieL said:
Thanks Pwar for providing a summary haha =]
Is it not a psych article? Well.. I found it in a psych databaseeeee.. and the unit is psych.. so I guess I'll just use whichever way they've given examples in the tutes
Sorry, I totally confused myself. It looks like a business article! :p

I was like 'well psychologists reference like this... but it's not a psych article :S'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)