• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

referencing (1 Viewer)

HSC
when do you actually reference something?
is it when you use information word-for-word from another source? quotes?....

and with footnoting in MS word do you put the little reference number before or after the source..eg

I.. have.. a dream, that white people..and black people..and even chinese people..can play...blah blah...<sup>1</sup>

OR is it

<sup>1</sup>I.. have.. a dream, that white people..and black people..and even chinese people..can play...blah blah...

and do you need to use "..." when referencing even if it's not a direct quote from a person?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
you reference it if you write it word for word.. or if u paraphrase it (dont use a big chunk but different parts of it to make a small chunk..) but if u rewrite it in your own words you just need to include it in your bibliography..
quotes and things that need to be referenced should be on a new line.. i usually put it in italics, with " " around it and with the footnote after
[edit] my school has a nifty page on referencing..
http://www.olmc.nsw.edu.au/learning/info_services/study_assistance/harvard_referencing.htm
just follow that lol

Last edited:

Rory

HSC
I usually reference whenever I use a theory or quote directly from a source. I usually put the number at the beginning of the quote and I *think* I usually put the quotation marks still even if it's not exactly word-for-word.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)