Refering to yourself in an essay (1 Viewer)

PLURFECT!

HSC
Mornin' guys! :wave:

So ok, our essay question for journeys was "To what extent has studying the concept of physical journey expanded your understanding of yourself, of individuals, and of the world?"

How the HELL are you supposed to answer that without using personal pronouns in response, when it's asking you to refer to yourself personally?

Heh.

4am confusion

I'm sure i'll work it out, i just think that's a perfectly frustrating thing for someone to do. :mad1:

Hope everyones journey's are going well!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The following is from the HSC marker's notes on this question. (Its from the 2005 AOS paper)

General Comments
Candidates were asked to make a personal judgement as to ‘what extent’ their study expanded their understanding of the concept of journey. They were expected to have a sense of ownership in their personal judgement about the insights they had gained in the context of their studies.

Better responses displayed evidence of a strong personal voice and demonstrated a sustained thesis. This required an analysis of either physical, imaginative or inner journeys in relation to their set text, a Board of Studies Stimulus text and at least one related text. The question invited candidates to use the personal ‘I’ and many used this approach very effectively. [...]

So no need to avoid personal pronouns. In fact the markers were looking for people who used them.

PLURFECT!

HSC
I could kiss you. :)

But i don't think you'd like that very much!
*hug*

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
I've always gone by the rationale of never using 'I' or 'my/mine' etc in a critical essay; if the assessment is a reflection statement, and permits (or asks for, even) the use of personal pronouns, then go for it. I don't know, it just seems impromper to make it personal.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
and remember that this question never stated that it was an essay. to me its more of a personal response IMO which thus allows you to use first person. im doing that question at the moment for practice so i can show my teacher tomorrow but i dunno how right it is ><.

Illidan

HSC
if u wanted to write an essay, you could show your understanding by the amount of detail and thought you put into your response, for example in the poem "Felix Skryznecki, the poet feels isolated from his father, and hence, the poet struggles to know where he belongs.
examples.

furthermore,the poet uses his adult personna to reflect on his chilhood feelings, and to some extent, although he know understands the feelings of his farther, fels further remover from him, as shown by the historical allusion "pegging my tents.... further away fron hadrian's wall".

i don't think that's the exact quote, but u could look it up.

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
NOOOOOOO
don't refer to yourself at any cost...
say the reader... indirectly refer to yourself... don't say i think

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
My teacher taught us, if it is absolutely necessary to use a "personal pronoun" (in other words I) that the word that everyone should use is "WE" but....looking at the marker notes for the above question...meh

Jimwahhh

HSC
I was told that you only use personal pronouns an stuff if the question says 'personal' in it, which in the marking guideline thing up the top they said it did. although im not sure whether you do if it says something like, "what have you learned from your study etc"

Dr_Doom

HSC
Nah you refer to the responder, for example in The Road Not Taken:

Not this:
In The Road Not Taken, Frost looks down one road "to where it bent in the undergrowth", which shows me that I cannot see the outcome of a choice I make.

But this:
In The Road Not Taken, Frost looks down one road "to where it bent in the undergrowth", which tells the responder that outcomes are not able to be seen and that a choice has to be made.

coolcapsicum

HSC
Dr_Doom said:
Nah you refer to the responder, for example in The Road Not Taken:

Not this:
In The Road Not Taken, Frost looks down one road "to where it bent in the undergrowth", which shows me that I cannot see the outcome of a choice I make.

But this:
In The Road Not Taken, Frost looks down one road "to where it bent in the undergrowth", which tells the responder that outcomes are not able to be seen and that a choice has to be made.
that makes sense..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)