Reflection Theory (1 Viewer)

khfreakau

HSC
You could have stated the perpendicular from the vertex to the base bisects the base in an isos triangle. Much quicker
yeah this, i did it using this method. i think i was lucky in that i remembered what the reflection property was, they rarely ask for those obscure dot points.

zhuang281

HSC
Only got this question because i learnt what the reflection theory was in physics.

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
How did you know it was an isosceles triangle though?

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
but arent you trying to prove that the altitude bisects the triangle base?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
How about the reflection property for the hyperbola?

Has this been asked before in an HSC exam or trial exam?

I'm interested because at the last MANSW conference there were people from the Board of Studies who were asked about the reflection property and has it been asked in exams before. It seems that it has for the ellipse but not the hyperbola. I'm not sure if this is true however.

It has recently been announced that the state ministers have endorsed the new f-10 syllabus and so maybe the extension 2 syllabus's days are numbered. When this happens exam committees for the last years of a syllabus have to find questions on aspects of the syllabus that have NEVER been asked.

I think that in the next few years we really must focus on these aspects.

khfreakau

HSC
but arent you trying to prove that the altitude bisects the triangle base?
oh right my bad i used this result for part ii, not i haha. in i i equated the tans of the angles to show that they were equal, and then said in ii that altitude which bisects the base means the triangle is isosceles, so PR=SP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)