• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Regrets (Tips for a year 11 soon to be in year 12) (1 Viewer)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, pretty similar situation actually. I want to do 14 HSC units but one is Catholic Studies and another is EE2. Good to see it's possible at looking at the ranks in your sig it doesn't look like you're struggling ;)

@Shadow I've done 13 prelim units too, but I haven't found it too difficult to balance due to the fact that all of my subjects largely rely on skill/sense over study/rote learning and all tie in together quite nicely.
i guess everyone has different strength and weaknesses

SuchSmallHands

HSC
i guess everyone has different strength and weaknesses
I think not having maths is what's really allowed me to do it. Maths has so much content that just needs to be memorised if you want to do really well, and not having that study burden is probably the only reason why I've managed.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
I think not having maths is what's really allowed me to do it. Maths has so much content that just needs to be memorised if you want to do really well, and not having that study burden is probably the only reason why I've managed.
Cringe D:

"If mathematics is likened to prospecting for gold, solving a good mathematical problem is akin to a “hide-and-seek” course in gold-prospecting: you are given a nugget to find, and you know what it looks like, that it is out there somewhere, that it is not too hard to reach, that unearthing it is within your capabilities, and you have conveniently been given the right equipment (i.e. data) to get it. It may be hidden in a cunning place, but it will require ingenuity rather than digging to reach it." - Terry Tao

Good stuff ;)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Cringe D:

"If mathematics is likened to prospecting for gold, solving a good mathematical problem is akin to a “hide-and-seek” course in gold-prospecting: you are given a nugget to find, and you know what it looks like, that it is out there somewhere, that it is not too hard to reach, that unearthing it is within your capabilities, and you have conveniently been given the right equipment (i.e. data) to get it. It may be hidden in a cunning place, but it will require ingenuity rather than digging to reach it." - Terry Tao

Good stuff ;)
Haha whilst that's terribly poetic for a mathematician, one must still acknowledge that in HSC mathematics you won't be playing many successful games of hide-and-seek without first committing pages of figures and formulae to memory (or map routes, if you'd prefer to extend the analogy), which isn't necessitated to a comparable extent in the humanities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)