Related Material - Physical Journeys =) (1 Viewer)

manutd12

HSC
Ok so my 1/2 yearly exam for Standard is on Tues. And we were told we HAVE to find related material, related to physical Journeys.

In my last assessment, we had to do a speech on a chosen poem + related material. And I did Bruce Dawe's "Enter Without So Much As Knocking" & my related Material was The Munich Air Disaster 1958, it was an extract from the Manchester United Biography. Though the one thing I did wrong was not jot down the themes + techniques. But I didn't really know how to do that on something that was real, like how can you find a technique about people that have died, people who were making the world fall in love with them with their footballing skills, die on a runaway without a sound.

Anyway I need to find other related material, here is what I am thinking of so far:
- Children of Men (movie)
- Wayne Rooney ( Autobiography )
- Rocky ( Movie series )
- Malcom X ( Movie )
- Rambo (Movie)
-Manchester United Biography (book )
-Julie & Julia ( movie )
-Goal 1 + 2
- My Sisters Keeper
- Twilight
-Freedom Writers
- College Road trip
- U2's Album - No Line On The Horizon
- Million Dollar Baby
-Changeling
- RV
-Blind Side
-Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
- Coach Carter
-Never Back Down
- U2 song - Sunday Bloody Sunday
- U2 Song - Sometimes you cant make it on your own
-The Spinners song - Flowers of Manchester
-Brothers (movie)
-Cristiano Ronaldo - The boy who had a dream ( doco)
- Sir Alex Ferguson The Biography ( book )
- The Hurricane ( movie )

Well Im like so confused.
I really wanted to Rocky, but Id have to watch the whole 7 movies, and remember many quotes, Malcom X is a good example of a physical Journey, the Blind Side is even better.

I like the books that I have because they detail the physical journey of ones life, so thats pretty good.

So can anyone help me,suggest any other related material or comment on which ones I should do, help would be great.

Cheers. =]

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
I didn't really know how to do that on something that was real, like how can you find a technique about people that have died, people who were making the world fall in love with them with their footballing skills, die on a runaway without a sound.
Actually, you would look at how the text is constructed. Even though it's "true" you should still be looking at how a biography is constructed. What about the type of language and factual information makes you assume that it is real? How are biographies constructed? Is the structure and narrative technique different from a novel?

Techniques are not so much about what is said (though you definitely will talk about that) it's more about how those things are said.

As for the rest of your post, I haven't seen many of those films and I did imaginative journeys in high school so I'm not sure. But if you chose to do Rocky, I don't think that you would be expected to have a full indepth discussion of every film, you would be better to choose one, analyse that in depth and then have a knowledge of how the series works as a whole.

manutd12

HSC
Actually, you would look at how the text is constructed. Even though it's "true" you should still be looking at how a biography is constructed. What about the type of language and factual information makes you assume that it is real? How are biographies constructed? Is the structure and narrative technique different from a novel?

Techniques are not so much about what is said (though you definitely will talk about that) it's more about how those things are said.

As for the rest of your post, I haven't seen many of those films and I did imaginative journeys in high school so I'm not sure. But if you chose to do Rocky, I don't think that you would be expected to have a full indepth discussion of every film, you would be better to choose one, analyse that in depth and then have a knowledge of how the series works as a whole.
Yeh you do make some good points there.
So as for the biography, its written by a Manutd football supporter. Its in his view, The lead up to the chapter is on what happend before hand.
Its an interesting chapter, he relates to what happened on the 50th anniversary and how it related back to 1958.
He used emotional language, factual information, primary source = his opinion. Jargon was used, because you have to be someone who is interested in football to know what he's talking about.

With the Rocky I get what your saying, but the whole 7 movies, is his journey, Id rather do all 7 than just 1.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
it's just that in terms of techniques at least each movie can be treated as a separate entity and there's no way you would be able to analyse all seven in as much detail as you could one in the time frame. you don't want to neglect depth of analysis, i would choose a different film.

as for the biography, it would be worthwhile considering bias too. how much does the fact he is a man utd supporter change the reliability of the information?

manutd12

HSC
it's just that in terms of techniques at least each movie can be treated as a separate entity and there's no way you would be able to analyse all seven in as much detail as you could one in the time frame. you don't want to neglect depth of analysis, i would choose a different film.

as for the biography, it would be worthwhile considering bias too. how much does the fact he is a man utd supporter change the reliability of the information?
Well the Bias thing comes in @ the begining, when he's describing opposition supporters disrespect towards the disaster. But other than that, Iv compared what he wrote about the disaster to other factual information, and everything's correct.
So the themes of the Bio:
- Death
- Family
-Football
-Loss
-Grief
- Life
- Physical Journey
Techniques:
- Bias
- Jargon
- Imagery
- Emotive language
- The overall tone of the chapter is dark, depressing , and emotional.

It takes us through a physical Journey because its retraces the steps before and after the death of 8 Manutd players + 13 other victims. Its always emphasises the events which took place after the disaster, the rebuilding of a team, the phycological effect of losing your loved , ect ect ect.

Im either gonna do the bio or choose a movie, your help has been great. Thanx so much , so with what I wrote about , its not in detail but anyway do you think Im heading in the right direction?

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
you want to make sure that your themes stay relevant to the overarching physical journeys because you will obviously need to focus on that to answer the question. it's not a matter of just listing the themes, you need to be thinking about how the themes communicate or support (basically how they relate) to physical journeys.

im not sure that "life" in itself is really a theme but you could definitely talk about specific stages of life in relation to physical journeys.

manutd12

HSC
Im going crazy here. Im so lost, I have no idea what I am going to do it on .

Hate English !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)