related text - confusion! (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
gah. i am really confussed about my realted text.

i'm doin inner journeys and have chosen a non fiction book..
& i'm starting to have doubts.

how am i meant to be linking my texts? like out of a whole book am i meant to quote one line and bring out how the techniques used help develop an understanding of the concepts of inner journeys?

or am i meant to use the text as a "whole" ?

coz as a non fiction book there aren't very many litrary "techniques" as such...the text as a whole reflects the process of inner journeys and i can make vague statements, like use of colloquial language & refereneences to the structure of writing which gets more and more chaotic as the book proeeeds
but in terms of pickin out individual lines....there are very few i can use :(

help anyone?

do you suggest i find a differnt text thats fiction and more "metaphoric"?

Larissa8

HSC
i think your non fiction text could really work.... instead of referring to techniques as such, try referring to narrative conventions. e.g poem, song, story, article etc. You can say that, by using the narrative convention of a non-fiction -whatever it is, it presents a tone of fact and reason - its unbiased and presents the truth. Narrative conventions is the way a composer chooses to present information. They are great to use because they sound smart! So really describe HOW this particular narrative convention helps to convey a tone of fact and truth. by all means, use quotes, but not too many, there is such thing as quote overload. good luck!

-pari-

HSC
N/A
hmmm....that could work well but wouldnt i need more than just "by using sucha a narritvie convenction it is able to......."
?

also, is variation in structure a 'technique'?

Larissa8

HSC
variation in structure could be used as a technique depending on the way its used....you could separate the text into its certain variations and discuss why the composer decided to change its structure and what message it is trying to convey while linking it all back to the concept of imaginative journey. By using the term narrative convention your free to talk about the text as it is, instead of focusing on obvious techniques. Speak about the text and what is in it, using quotes and references, and you'll find that you can always manipulate anything to link back to narrative conventions and imaginative journeys. keep it relaxed - thats why your using narrative conventions, because conventions are fluid like and vary dramatically.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Related texts are basically texts you choose (if possible NOT from the Board of Studies list of texts to be taught for the different Modules & AOS). Whether it be fiction or non-fiction it does not matter, however if the text is based on something that's true i.e. Say a movie called Princess' Diaries, and it really was based off a princess's experience, it would allow you link much easier between your related text(s) and core texts.

You do not want to use the whole text. Using just an extract is fine:) In fact when I used a movie as my related text, I only referred to 2 scenes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)